× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear RN214 can't uninstall PLEX media Server

mmatone
Aspirant

Netgear RN214 can't uninstall PLEX media Server

I have this weird issue that happened a few months back and get get it resolved.

I have a ReadyNAS 214 running 6.10.7

I have installed the Plex Media Server (RN2xx) version and can't do the following

Turn Off: It gives me "this process may take a few minutes" and sits there for hours - when I log back in same thing it's toggled ON but oddly not Green

So I try to uninstall it - same thing "this process may take a few minutes" and nothing - When I go into the logs it states that the Plex media server was uninstalled successfully - but that would be incorrect because it's still there.

I tried downgrading the firmware to 6.10.6 and that didn't work either

I have no idea what to do to fix this issue  

Message 1 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mmatone

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried using a different browser? a different PC to use? Have you tried rebooting the NAS?

If all steps have been tried an OS-reinstall may have to be done. 

HTH

Message 2 of 7
mmatone
Aspirant

Unfortunately I have tried different browsers on different computers and rebooted a few times when changing Firmware - but the same issue

Message 3 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried OS-reinstall from the Boot menu? the link for the guide can be found here.

Message 4 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mmatone

If you can set the NAS on SDM or enable SSH access via the admin page, please PM me the 5 digit code.

HTH

Message 5 of 7
Ric_CT
Aspirant

I can only offer something of a warning here. We also had trouble uninstalling the Plex App on an RN5xx w/ 6.10.5. Yes, the uninstall took many hours, and -- worse -- at some point we could no longer connect to the RNAS Admin Page. It took a diligent effort to resolve the problem.

The uninstall attempt corrupted the RNAS Security Certificate. I was able to discern this by using RAIDar to download the log files. The web browsers were blocking an HTTPS connection to the Admin Page, given that there is no HTTP fallback on the RNAS. I should have suspected this sooner. Only the Firefox browser made the issue clear to us, and offered an alternate pathway to the Admin Page.

Sidestepping the security block on each browser "resolves" the connection problem, but it is a major annoyance. Users at our company are now warned by each browser about the dangers of entering a password over the suddenly un-secure channel, because the password " could be stolen". This has created a new training issue. 

Shame on somebody for not making it easier to resolve Security Certificate issues on the ReadyNAS...

I'm not sure if the uninstall problem was with Plex or with Netgear. The App does appear to be gone. We used the app for a short time for remote training, but it is no longer needed. In retrospect, I should have just left it alone, but we try to run a clean shop.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Ric_CT wrote:

The uninstall attempt corrupted the RNAS Security Certificate. 

Only the Firefox browser made the issue clear to us, and offered an alternate pathway to the Admin Page.

Is this a certificate that you installed, or the self-signed certificate created by the NAS?  In general, browsers do warn about self-signed certs.  FireFox does make it easier to create a security exception than other popular browsers.

@Ric_CT wrote:

... given that there is no HTTP fallback on the RNAS.

Actually you can configure an HTTP fallback.

http.png

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements