× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem installing applications

Stan78
Aspirant

Problem installing applications

Hi there. So i bought my 2ns NAS from Netgear;) RN104 with 2x3tb WD Red installed. FW 6.10.3.
Ofcourse 2nd hand but beautiful state;)
Have problem though.
GUI, smb, FTP, dlna, everything seems to be fine, but i can't install any app on it. And I need transmission, SQL server, istat... Every app starts installing and then saying me that it can't be installed...No reason given.
Tried oS reinstall no joy, tried factory reset, no luck... What else to try? I ssh to the console, but nothing interesting in logs. I confirmed internet by ping outside my network- works fine... Where to look please ?
Thank you
Stan
Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 17
StephenB
Guru

How full is the OS partition?

Are you choosing the ARM version of the apps?

Message 2 of 17
Stan78
Aspirant

Device is formated and empty, so like factory new.
Also restored to factory state.
Apps I'm trying to install are not from external source. On the device GUI, I go to apps, available apps list, and then install what i need. Or at least I'm trying..
Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps download the log zip, and look in apt-history.log

Message 4 of 17
Stan78
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

apt-history says nothing,

app-install says:

Oct 11 13:44:18 NASaKrzycha fv-app-install[17720]: [transmissionr6](0%) prepare
Oct 11 09:40:13 NASaKrzycha fv-app-install[15773]: [nastools-transmission](0%) prepare
Oct 11 09:38:37 NASaKrzycha fv-app-install[15021]: [transmissionr6](0%) prepare
Oct 10 17:25:29 NASaKrzycha fv-app-install[7798]: [plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries](0%) prepare
Oct 10 17:25:19 NASaKrzycha fv-app-install[7732]: [plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries](0%) abort
Oct 10 17:25:10 NASaKrzycha fv-app-install[7732]: Process already running, pid=0
Oct 10 17:25:03 NASaKrzycha fv-app-install[7720]: [plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries](0%) prepare
Oct 10 17:00:18 NASaKrzycha fv-app-install[5037]: [transmissionr6](0%) prepare
Oct 10 16:58:18 NASaKrzycha fv-app-install[4440]: [transmissionr6](0%) prepare

so also not usefull, but

install_debpkg.log says:

Install app transmissionr6

fv-app-install-utils.c:101(info) [transmissionr6](0%) prepare

fv-app-install-utils.c:106(info) Downloading [transmissionr6](0%) Retrieving file 1 of 2

fv-app-install-utils.c:106(info) Downloading [transmissionr6](0%) Retrieving file 1 of 2

fv-app-install.c:674(error) fv-app-install (transmissionr6): error code [100]: Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following additional packages will be installed:
transmission
The following NEW packages will be installed:
transmission transmissionr6
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 31 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,523 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,474 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Err:1 https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos 6.10.3/apps armel transmission armel 2.82-1
403 Forbidden
Err:2 https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos 6.10.3/apps armhf transmissionr6 all 3.00.8
403 Forbidden
Err:2 https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos 6.10.3/apps armhf transmissionr6 all 3.00.8
403 Forbidden
E: Failed to fetch https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos/dists/6.10.3/apps/pool/t/transmission/transmission_2.82... 403 Forbidden

E: Failed to fetch https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos/dists/6.10.3/apps/pool/t/transmissionr6/transmissionr6_... 403 Forbidden

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

fv-app-install-utils.c:121(info) [transmissionr6](0%) abort
Install app transmissionr6

But why it shows 403?

Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Stan78 wrote:

But why it shows 403?

This appears to be a problem with Netgear's servers.  Hopefully @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V will chime in.

Message 6 of 17
Tuvik
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Stan78 wrote:

But why it shows 403?

This appears to be a problem with Netgear's servers.  Hopefully @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V will chime in.

Any news on that? App installation still seems seriously broken...

Message 7 of 17
KingC
Aspirant

Hi,

I have recently Factory Reset my readynas 422, to upgrade the HDDS from 2x 6TB WD Red to 2x 12TB Seagate IronWolf. I will also mention that it was originally running v 6.10.1 when I installed the WD drives. But has now been recently updated to v 6.10.3.

Anyway all seemed fine, apps are showing in the available section of the GUI. Except I get the forbidden 403 errors also when trying to install a few apps. (I must note a few work like Python and SMB). So I tried uploading the app from a direct dload from the apps website. I got a "broken pipe error" ie. Plex media server. Please see the following for the 2 attempts to install plex. 

Attempt 1 from GUI.

Install app plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries
fv-app-install-utils.c:101(info) [plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries](0%) prepare
fv-app-install-utils.c:106(info) Downloading [plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries](0%) Retrieving file 1 of 1
fv-app-install-utils.c:106(info) Downloading [plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries](0%) Retrieving file 1 of 1
fv-app-install.c:674(error) fv-app-install (plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries): error code [100]: Reading package lists...
plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 32 not upgraded.
Need to get 109 MB of archives.
After this operation, 239 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Err:1 https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos 6.10.3/apps amd64 plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries amd64 1.11.3.4803-c40bba82e
403 Forbidden
E: Failed to fetch https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos/dists/6.10.3/apps/pool/p/plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries/... 403 Forbidden

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

fv-app-install-utils.c:121(info) [plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries](0%) abort

Attempt 2 from manual upload.

Install app plexmediaserver
fv-app-install-utils.c:101(info) [/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.20.3.3437-f1f08d65b_amd64.deb](0%) prepare
fv-app-install-utils.c:106(info) Downloading [plexmediaserver](0%) Retrieving file 1 of 1
fv-app-install-utils.c:106(info) Downloading [plexmediaserver](0%) Retrieving file 1 of 1
fv-app-install-utils.c:106(info) Downloading [plexmediaserver](50%) Retrieving file 1 of 1
fv-app-install-utils.c:111(info) Installing [plexmediaserver](50%) Running dpkg
fv-app-install-utils.c:111(info) Installing [plexmediaserver](50%) Installing plexmediaserver
fv-app-install-utils.c:111(info) Installing [plexmediaserver](58%) Preparing plexmediaserver
fv-app-install.c:345(error) Error: file[/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.20.3.3437-f1f08d65b_amd64.deb] message: cannot copy extracted data for './apps/plexmediaserver/Binaries/Resources/Fonts/NotoNaskhArabic-Bold.ttf' to '/apps/plexmediaserver/Binaries/Resources/Fonts/NotoNaskhArabic-Bold.ttf.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream
fv-app-install.c:674(error) fv-app-install (/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.20.3.3437-f1f08d65b_amd64.deb): error code [100]: Reading package lists...
plexmediaserver
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 32 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/80.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 242 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 /tmp/plexmediaserver_1.20.3.3437-f1f08d65b_amd64.deb plexmediaserver amd64 1.20.3.3437-f1f08d65b [80.4 MB]
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
Selecting previously unselected package plexmediaserver.
(Reading database ... (Reading database ... 5% (Reading database ... 10% (Reading database ... 15% (Reading database ... 20% (Reading database ... 25% (Reading database ... 30% (Reading database ... 35% (Reading database ... 40% (Reading database ... 45% (Reading database ... 50% (Reading database ... 55% (Reading database ... 60% (Reading database ... 65% (Reading database ... 70% (Reading database ... 75% (Reading database ... 80% (Reading database ... 85% (Reading database ... 90% (Reading database ... 95% (Reading database ... 100% (Reading database ... 14896 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver_1.20.3.3437-f1f08d65b_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.20.3.3437-f1f08d65b) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error: compressed data is corrupt
dpkg-deb (subprocess): cannot copy archive member from '/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.20.3.3437-f1f08d65b_amd64.deb' to decompressor pipe: failed to write (Broken pipe)
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/plexmediaserver_1.20.3.3437-f1f08d65b_amd64.deb (--unpack):
cannot copy extracted data for './apps/plexmediaserver/Binaries/Resources/Fonts/NotoNaskhArabic-Bold.ttf' to '/apps/plexmediaserver/Binaries/Resources/Fonts/NotoNaskhArabic-Bold.ttf.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream
Errors were encountered while processing:
/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.20.3.3437-f1f08d65b_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

fv-app-install-utils.c:121(info) [plexmediaserver](0%) abort

Im not sure if this is a siimilar problem that a fair few people are having or not, but any sugestions or ideas on how to get around this problem would be greatly appreiciated. Up until this hick up the Netgear has been one awesome little box. I don't want to think differently of it.

Thanks Very Much,

Kind Regards,

Message 8 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@KingC wrote:

I'm not sure if this is a siimilar problem that a fair few people are having or not, but any sugestions or ideas on how to get around this problem would be greatly appreciated

Yes, other people are seeing 403 also.  FWIW, the reset isn't the culprit.  New apps can't be installed on 6.10.3 systems, and I suspect app updates (for instance plex) will also similarly fail.

I reported this on another thread on the ARM systems, but didn't know if it would happen on an x86 ReadyNAS or not.  Obviously it does.  I've also sent a PM to the mods ( @JohnCM_S and @Marc_V ) - hopefully they will take care of the 403 error that is coming from apt.netgear.com.

I don't think there is any workaround for the 403, unless someone happens to have a mirror of apt.netgear.com that has the access permissions set properly.  But it looks like the broken pipe issue is something else.

Still, I think the plex update would have failed even if you didn't have the broken pipe (as I think the update would still have needed to access libraries on apt.netgear.com).

Message 9 of 17
Stan78
Aspirant

X86 is also affected. I have RN ultra 6 on os 6.x and Intel CPU, and this has a problem too. So it looks like problem is platform wide / independent.
Message 10 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Stan78 wrote:
X86 is also affected. I have RN ultra 6 on os 6.x and Intel CPU, and this has a problem too. So it looks like problem is platform wide / independent.

Agreed.  @KingC also reported this with his RN400 series.

Message 11 of 17
watchme109
Tutor

This problem affects my RR2304, too.

Message 12 of 17
watchme109
Tutor

The only solution provided (in german community support) is: contact the paid support service!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Einsatz-von-ReadyNAS/Installation-von-neuen-Apps-nicht-mehr-m%C3%B6...

Message 13 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@watchme109 wrote:

The only solution provided (in german community support) is: contact the paid support service!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Einsatz-von-ReadyNAS/Installation-von-neuen-Apps-nicht-mehr-m%C3%B6...

It should be working now - have you tried it again?

Message 14 of 17
Tuvik
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@watchme109 wrote:

It should be working now - have you tried it again?

Indeed - seems to be fixed, at last!

Thanks

Message 15 of 17
watchme109
Tutor

confirmed 😄

Message 16 of 17
KingC
Aspirant

Yes!

Thanks for the update. Things seem to be working OK now.

Kind Regards,

KingC

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements