× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem with disk Seagate St300DM001

atai1960
Aspirant

Problem with disk Seagate St300DM001

Hello,

I have 2 ReadyNAS; one old model NV and a more recent model 104.

It's strange but I have more problems with the 104.

I have added 2 new disks both 2 Seagate model ST3000DM001 and after few days it stopped to work saying that the disk #2 was dead.

I take out this disk and now I have attached to a laptop and works normally. So I don't know why the NAS say something wrong

Also the second disk start to give warnings logs (disk Detected high uncorrectable error count: [18528] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST3000DM001-9YN166, S1F01ZBY]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.) and I can't see the data anymore.

Can someone explain me what's happening?

Many thanks

Model: RN10421D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Problem with disk Seagate St300DM001

You say ou "added" these new drives.  What was already in there?

Unfortunately, you made a poor choice of the new drives.  "Green" drives such as the Seagate "DM" family are not well suited for a NAS.  They notoriously do what happened to you -- go into power saving mode and the NAS declares them "dead". especially if mixed with non-green drives.  That particular drive is not on the compatibility list, though the 2TB version is (a mistake, IMHO).  While tools exist to change some behavior parameters on the WD green drives, I am not aware of a similar tool for Seagate.

Disabling disk spin-down on the NAS may help some.

The drive giving you the uncorrectable errors sounds like it may have a real problem, though I have had a different drive type give that kind of error and it was also not real.  Have you checked the SMART errors?  I hope you put that "dead" drive back in when you found it was actually OK.  Otherwise, you are operating in a non-redundant mode and a second drive failure will kill the array (if you haven't lost it already since you cannot see the data).

Message 2 of 12
atai1960
Aspirant

Thank for the reply.

The disk #1 is a WD model WD10EFRX

The spin-down was already disabled

I checked the SMART but it say 0 error

The strange thing is that I don't see the temperature for this disk.

Cattura.JPG

So you suggest to load the disk back on second trail?

And what about the disk on third trail? I have 142 GB data that look used but I can't see nothing.

Is there a way to restore these data?

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you don't have a backup?

Message 4 of 12
atai1960
Aspirant

No I don't have.

Anyway I have removed the disk and reload on channel 2, reformatted but when I try to create a new share on this volume I receive an error 1013030001 Commit failed.

The other disk that works on my laptop I have tried to reload but the system tell me that I have to remove because don't work.

Connected again on my laptop works fine and I see again the files copied for test before.

It look like my Nas don't like these disks.

Any suggestion?

Now I have a Nas 104 with only one 1TB disk 

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I think you must have already lost your data, correct?

If so, the first question is whether you need some form of data recovery.  Likely it would be expensive, and there is no guarantee of success.

If you aren't going for data recovery, then my advice is to check with the seller and see if you can exchange the DM drives for something else.  Amazon will let you exchange if you do it quickly.

WDC WD30EFRX would be a better option, as would a Seagate ST3000VN0001.  While you are at it, perhaps look at 4 TB prices and see if it makes sense to go slightly larger.

Message 6 of 12
atai1960
Aspirant

I don't care about the data lost; were only movies.

I also can't contact the reseller because it was a used disks.

But I had no answer about the disk that is still working but I can't create new shares; Do i have to consider lost also this?

For sure I will not buy any Seagate ST3000DM001 again for the future, better use WD

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@atai1960 wrote:

But I had no answer about the disk that is still working but I can't create new shares; Do i have to consider lost also this?

This is all jbod correct? and one volume per disk drive?

I'd try destroying the volume and then recreating it.

@atai1960 wrote:

I also can't contact the reseller because it was a used disks.

For sure I will not buy any Seagate ST3000DM001 again for the future, better use WD

Maybe avoid used disks too.

Message 8 of 12
atai1960
Aspirant

Yes, one volume for disk.

How I can see if all jbod are correct?

I have already destroyed the volume and recreated but when I try to add a new share on this volume I always received the same error message (1013030001).

At the moment the system logs tell me that this volume has 44880 sectors reallocated

Message 9 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello atai1960,

Check which disk is getting reallocated sectors.

See this kb article.

Regards,

Message 10 of 12
atai1960
Aspirant

Of course is the disk #2 the Seagate.
In the meantime I have done a test; I took the dead Seagate disk for the NAS but that works normally attached at my laptop and I have connected using an external box on the USB port of my NAS and works perfect. So at least I don't have lost the disk; in case I can buy an other external box to connect also the disk # 2 that do not work on my NAS (impossible to create new share).

For the future I will not buy used disks and probably I will buy WD

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@atai1960 wrote:

At the moment the system logs tell me that this volume has 44880 sectors reallocated

That's a failed disk for sure.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements