× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN-314 Replaced HDD with WD Red 3TB NAS

Kbstall
Aspirant

RN-314 Replaced HDD with WD Red 3TB NAS

Greetings,

Got a replacement HDD, WD Red 3TB NAS - 5400RPM for 1 of 4 Seagate 3TB Barracuda- 7200RPM drives.  Unit is 4+ years old.  

Error on display states “data degraded”. GUI was not showing a drive in bay No.1.  So assumption was drive was DOA. Introduced the new WD drive into NAS today. GUI does not show drive is present nor that it’s in a rebuilding state.

What am I missing?  Thought drive would immediately be recognized. GUI still shows no drive in bay No1.  Give it time?  Backed up data yesterday to USB drive.  

Thanks for any help or insight 

Kevin

Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN-314 Replaced HDD with WD Red 3TB NAS

One possibility is the drive you bought is bad.  Have you checked it on a PC?  Another possibility is that your problem is with the NAS, not the drive.

Did you try re-booting?  Hot insertion is usually best, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

If all else fails and you are sure the drive is good, remove the other drives (marking which position they go in) and try booting with just the new drive in bay one.  If it begins initialization, then the hardware's not the problem.  If it doesn't, try again with the drive in bay 2.  If it then works, it's the NAS itself.

Message 2 of 4
Kbstall
Aspirant

Thanks for the troubleshooting walk through, will attempt today. So I performed a backup to a USB drive.  If unit is bad, I should be able to restore from that, correct?  Or could I use the drives that I have and populate a new RN with those same disks?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Kbstall wrote:

If unit is bad, I should be able to restore from that, correct?  Or could I use the drives that I have and populate a new RN with those same disks?

If you get a new ReadyNAS, you could either start fresh, and restore files from your backup, or migrate your disks directly to the new OS-6 NAS.

If you migrate, the volume would still be degraded, but if your problem is actually with the chassis hardware you'd be able to resync with your new disk. 

It is important to have an up to date backup, since your data is at risk.  So it's good that you took care of that.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements