× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 will not update firmware

Dominicf
Follower

RN102 will not update firmware

Looking for some help if possible, I bought an old readynas rn102 on fir.ware 6.0.4 and it refuses to update when I click check for update it finds an update for 6.2.4 but fails with 6001010060 and I also dow loads the firmware from netgear download page and that says unrecognized server error.

I'm not sure what else I can try so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you
Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN102 will not update firmware

Hi Dominicf,

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried downloading 6.2.5 from our support website? If yes, did you get the same error message?

You can also try using a different web browser and see if you will be able to download the firmware.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Usually, the "unrecognized server error" can be ignored and an update will occur anyway on reboot.  I don't recall which version that was finally fixed in, but it's well after where you are.

Hopefully, you've already noted this, but do not update to anythng beyond 6.2.5 on your NAS at this point.  The release notes on later versions clearly warn (for good reason) to update to 6.2.5 before moving higher on a 102 or 104. 

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Usually, the "unrecognized server error" can be ignored and an update will occur anyway on reboot.  I don't recall which version that was finally fixed in, but it's well after where you are.

I think the unrecognized server stuff happened a bit after 6.2.5, but it's been a long time and that might not be right.

Still, rebooting is the first thing to try. Then perhaps try again, using the image from here: https://kb.netgear.com/29498/ReadyNAS-OS-Version-6-2-5-RN102-RN104-Only  Don't install the zip file - unzip it and install the actual binary image.

If that still fails, then try a USB recovery using 6.2.5 as the image.  https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system#M...

Older USB drives tend to work better for this, and if you have one with an activity light you might try that first.  That gives you some assurance that the system is doing something.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements