× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN42200-100NES - Diskless - What type of drives?

callmeshawn
Follower

RN42200-100NES - Diskless - What type of drives?

There are 2 bays for disks and as I understand it ... the system is capable of providing up to 20TB of storage capactiy.

Please correct anything I may have misstated as I don't want to be working under bad assumptions.

Question is, what type of drives does this system require or do you recommend?

Thanks!

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @callmeshawn

RN422 has a total internal capacity of 20TB which is 10TB drives for each bay. But checking the HCL, there are few 12TB drives already compatible with this model making its internal capacity 24TB.

You can check the compatible drives from the HCL available here.

Hope this has been informative.

Regards

Message 2 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @callmeshawn

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 5
dschwartzer
Luminary

The most important thing about drive selection (in my opinion) is to be sure to use NAS quality drives.  Drives intended for PC use will not stand up over time and while you will pay less for them up front, you will wind up replacing them much sooner.

I have used both WD Red and Seagate IronWolf drives.  They come in a variety of sized from 2TB up to 10TB and any of those would be good.

One word of caution about the Seagate IronWolf drives is that on the larger sized, some of the older units do not have the third (middle) screw hole.  That will require you to modify the pins on the Netgear drive carriers for your ReadyNAS.  It's not a big deal and certainly not a reason to pass on the drives. Just something to be aware of.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

David

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@dschwartzer wrote:

One word of caution about the Seagate IronWolf drives is that on the larger sized, some of the older units do not have the third (middle) screw hole.  That will require you to modify the pins on the Netgear drive carriers for your ReadyNAS.  

You shouldn't modify the pins..

Instead you remove the side plastic drive inserts altogether, and screw the drives into the bottom of the tray (using the screws that are shipped with the NAS). 

The trays on the RN400 series do have holes that are aligned with the "alternative mount points" used on these drives.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements