× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND 2000 V2 Ready NAS DUO Wrong IP address

monica985
Aspirant

RND 2000 V2 Ready NAS DUO Wrong IP address

Ok everybody - Here is my delima.

I changed cable providers, the first used 10.x.x.x as it's addy's. Months later I plug in the Duo AND no access. Raidar (firmware 4.1.7) tells me both drives are healthy but the admin panel is grayed out. Clicking on the grayed out panel produces: "can't access on this computer, check network settings". Current provider uses 192.168.X.X. I am using Linux Ubuntu 18.4 LTS. Incidently, trying Raidar on Windows 10, didn't work at all. Raidar said it couldn't find any devices. While I'm thinking of it, The DUO is plugged into a switch, which never has made a difference before.

What I've done - for one thing I spent better than a half day fighting with this device.

1. Direct connect to the computer - nothing, I wasn't expecting much knowing the IP addy is wrong. Reconnected things correctly and rebooted.

2. Router - Tried to 'extend' the IP addy to 192.168.168.168, the router wouldn't have it. Error message said it couldn't find the device. Yes, the

DUO was running in all circumstances

3. Tried the OS Reboot as described in the manual. Failed. Holding down the reset switch with a paper clip produced a double speed response when the power butten was pushed. The two led's flashed and finally the inner led stayed on. According to the manual the inner led  signifies the OS reboot, buy releasing the reset switch and pressing it again the box is "supposed" to restart. It didn't hapen. I tried the procedure three times.

The DUO has two half gig drives that are just about half full. Another side note; when I tried to run raidar on win 10, Raidar told me that both drives were dead, although the unit booted normally. On Linux? Nope! both drives are fine, thank you very much.

4. Returning to a factory default would trash both drives. The OS reboot failed so I wonder if the factory default would go any better.

Is it possible to remove the drives and pull the data, and then do a factory reset?

Monica

Model: RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RND 2000 V2 Ready NAS DUO Wrong IP address

I'm assuming you set a fixed IP address on the NAS with your old router.  That's never a good idea, and you have found one reason.  Once you get this sorted out, reserve an IP address for the NAS in the router instead.

Your computer and the NAS have to be on the same sub-net.  While you cannot "expand" the router to include your old subnet, you should be abe to change it to that.  Another option is the direct connection to the computer, but you have to manaully set the IP address of your computer to be in the same sub-net as the NAS.  To do that in linux, use ifconfig to find which port you are using (probably eth0) then ifconfig  eth0  10.X.X.X netmask  255.255.255.0 (assuming it is etho, and then using an address with the same first three digits as the NAS and the last one different).

As for the OS re-install, it sounds like you've had your NAS a while and would genuinely know if it's a real V2.  But just to be sure, a real V2 says so on the front, not on a sticker on the bottom.  If it doesn't say "V2" on the front, it's a V1, and the boot menu instructions are different.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

If you are running 4.1.7 firmware then you have a duo v1 - not a v2.  (Yes, we know the labeling is confusing Smiley Frustrated )  So the correct OS reinstall procedure is on pages 15-16 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

It will change the NAS admin password to netgear1 and reset the IP configuration to use DHCP.

@monica985 wrote:

I changed cable providers, the first used 10.x.x.x as it's addy's.  ... Current provider uses 192.168.X.X.

If you can log into the router, this is under your control not the ISP.  That is, you can reset the router to use 10.0.0.x addresses.

@monica985 wrote:

Direct connect to the computer - nothing, I wasn't expecting much knowing the IP addy is wrong. Reconnected things correctly and rebooted.

You should also have set the PC's ethernet IP to a static IP address temporarily.  

• IP address 192.168.168.100
  • subnet mask 255.255.255.0
  • gateway address 192.168.168.1

Then connect to http://192.168.168.168/admin

@monica985 wrote:

Is it possible to remove the drives and pull the data,

If necessary (though it shouldn't be if you follow the advice above).

Try installing R-linux for Windows (https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/) Then connect disk 1 to a PC (either with SATA or USB).

FWIW, most routers have a way to reserve a persistent IP address to a device.  If you use that feature you won't get into this dilemma in the future.

Message 3 of 6
monica985
Aspirant

Hi Stephen! Thank you for your help and suggestions. In reading through the manual that you posted. I intentionally didn't use
that one because it calls for a "status display screen". NOT on this DUO, if it's refering to Raidar, not there either. I will try your other
suggstions later.. Monica

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

RAIDar is a program you download here, so it definately is available to you.  The manual refers to RAIDar version 4.x, which is still available and better to use with the legacy products such as yours than the newer RAIDar V6.x.  Just Google it to find the download link.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

RAIDar is a program you download here, so it definately is available to you.  

It's here: https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Though you won't need it for this.

@monica985 wrote:

In reading through the manual that you posted. I intentionally didn't use
that one because it calls for a "status display screen". 

Then you didn't read it carefully enough.  The manual covers both the NV+ (which has an LCD status display) and the Duo (which doesn't).  The pages I gave you in the first post were for the Duo, and those instructions don't refer to the status display.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements