× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 No disks detected, despite disks being added.

FelixOB
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 No disks detected, despite disks being added.

Hi all,

We have just moved houses and as such I thought it would be a good opportunity to attempt to get the ReadyNAS to actually work for once. After plugging it in and turning it on our situation improved as Raidar picked up the NAS as Healthy and the admin page loaded.

When the admin page loaded I was greeted with the message of No Disks Inserted. I did a complete factory reset with no disks, one disk, and both disks and have swapped the disks around multiple times but when I try to create a volume no disks appear for me to choose. Is there something I'm missing because I cannot get the disks to appear. They are 2x 2TB Barracuda Disks and I don't have any spare disks to try to swap around.

My RN102 is running version 6.9.4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Felix

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102 No disks detected, despite disks being added.

The next step is to connect the disks to a Windows PC (usb adapter/dock is ok, of course SATA is also).  Then test the disks with Seatools.

Generally I recommend looking at the SMART stats, and not just depending on the pass/fail test results.  There is a write-zeros test (which is "advanced", and a bit tricky to activate).  But in this case it is worth running - it sometimes will pick up failures that the non-destructive read tests won't find.

If your disks are detected by Windows and are healthy, then your issue is with the NAS hardware.  If you are the original purchaser, then the hardware warranty is three years.  You might want to also check your warranty status  - and if you are the original purchaser and never registered your NAS, you should do that as my.netgear.com.  If you are covered by warranty, you can also upload your proof of purchase.

FWIW, I don't recommend desktop-class drives for NAS generally (or Barracuda in partcular).  Barracuda drives have a poor track record in RAID arrays, especially the 3 TB models.  Seagate might have addressed this issue in newer disk models, but I still don't recommend them.  NAS-purposed drives are a better choice for your NAS (Seagate Ironwolf or Western Digital Reds).  That said, if your drives pass the Seatools test, they should be recognized and work in your NAS.  But when they fail, I'd replace them with NAS-purposed models.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements