× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 214: System Volume root useage 90%

RobW_73
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 214: System Volume root useage 90%

System: Netgear ReadyNAS 214.

Firmware; 6.9.5

Storage: 8tb (free 3.25tb).

Started to see lots of alerts coming through;

"System volume root's useage is 90% This condtion should not occur under normal condtions. Contact technical support".

System is showing all drives are healthy. 

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@RobW_73 wrote:

Concur. Been reading some other topics. I haven't used it much. I have a Mac -  so using the shell more. But not massively experienced in this area. 

Well, if you enable ssh on the NAS, you can then connect using terminal.  The command is ssh root@nas-ip-address The root password is the same as the NAS admin password.

From there you can see if the issue is from plex by entering the following:

# mount --bind / /mnt
# cd /mnt
# find . -name chunk*.m4s

If you see those chunk<whatever>.m4s files in the output of the find command, then the issue is plex, and you want to delete them.  You can use cd to navigate to the relevant folders, and then delete these files with the rm command

# rm chunk*.m4s

Be careful on the typing - especially since there is a wildcard (*) in the command.  That lets you delete all the chunk files in a single command.

If you don't find any of these files, then the problem isn't plex - and we need to figure out where the space is going.  Enter

# du -csh /mnt/*

That will give you some idea of the space usage.  copy the results to this thread.

FWIW, on my NAS I see

root@NAS:/mnt# du -csh /mnt/*
0       /mnt/1
0       /mnt/apps
6.4M    /mnt/bin
0       /mnt/boot
0       /mnt/data
24K     /mnt/dev
11M     /mnt/etc
30M     /mnt/frontview
0       /mnt/ftp_ban.tbl
0       /mnt/home
4.0K    /mnt/homes
33M     /mnt/lib
4.0K    /mnt/lib64
0       /mnt/media
0       /mnt/mnt
4.6M    /mnt/opt
0       /mnt/proc
28K     /mnt/root
0       /mnt/run
9.9M    /mnt/sbin
0       /mnt/srv
0       /mnt/sys
0       /mnt/tmp
202M    /mnt/usr
604M    /mnt/var
899M    total

I have a different model, but your results should be similar.

Usually there is just one massive subfolder.  You descend into that with cd, and then repeat the du command.  At some point you are likely to find one folder with just a couple of large files(perhaps just one)  That accounts for the space.  We need to find out what those files are.

ls -alh is one way to see the size of all files in a particular folder, so you can use that in conjunction with the du command.

When done, enter these commands

# cd //
# umount /mnt

This undoes the mount at the beginning.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

One option is to follow the advice, and use paid Netgear support (my.netgear.com).

If SSH is enabled on the NAS, you could also investigate further yourself.

Either way, don't delay - as a full OS partition can result in an unbootable NAS.  If you don't have an up-to-date backup of the RN214, you should make one.

Message 2 of 9
RobW_73
Aspirant

Wow. Okay. I only have a couple of apps; Plex, Qbit and Tautulli. And over 2.5tb free. Don’t get this at all.
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@RobW_73 wrote:
And over 2.5tb free. Don’t get this at all.

This error is about the system volume (OS partition), not your data volume.  The OS partition is only 4 GB.

There's a good chance it's plex - which can leave behind files sometimes when it does real-time transcoding.

Have you ever used the linux command line?

Message 4 of 9
RobW_73
Aspirant

Concur. Been reading some other topics. I haven't used it much. I have a Mac -  so using the shell more. But not massively experienced in this area. 

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@RobW_73 wrote:

Well, if you enable ssh on the NAS, you can then connect using terminal.  The command is ssh root@nas-ip-address The root password is the same as the NAS admin password.

From there you can see if the issue is from plex by entering the following:

# mount --bind / /mnt
# cd /mnt
# find . -name chunk*.m4s

If you see those chunk<whatever>.m4s files in the output of the find command, then the issue is plex, and you want to delete them.  You can use cd to navigate to the relevant folders, and then delete these files with the rm command

# rm chunk*.m4s

Be careful on the typing - especially since there is a wildcard (*) in the command.  That lets you delete all the chunk files in a single command.

If you don't find any of these files, then the problem isn't plex - and we need to figure out where the space is going.  Enter

# du -csh /mnt/*

That will give you some idea of the space usage.  copy the results to this thread.

FWIW, on my NAS I see

root@NAS:/mnt# du -csh /mnt/*
0       /mnt/1
0       /mnt/apps
6.4M    /mnt/bin
0       /mnt/boot
0       /mnt/data
24K     /mnt/dev
11M     /mnt/etc
30M     /mnt/frontview
0       /mnt/ftp_ban.tbl
0       /mnt/home
4.0K    /mnt/homes
33M     /mnt/lib
4.0K    /mnt/lib64
0       /mnt/media
0       /mnt/mnt
4.6M    /mnt/opt
0       /mnt/proc
28K     /mnt/root
0       /mnt/run
9.9M    /mnt/sbin
0       /mnt/srv
0       /mnt/sys
0       /mnt/tmp
202M    /mnt/usr
604M    /mnt/var
899M    total

I have a different model, but your results should be similar.

Usually there is just one massive subfolder.  You descend into that with cd, and then repeat the du command.  At some point you are likely to find one folder with just a couple of large files(perhaps just one)  That accounts for the space.  We need to find out what those files are.

ls -alh is one way to see the size of all files in a particular folder, so you can use that in conjunction with the du command.

When done, enter these commands

# cd //
# umount /mnt

This undoes the mount at the beginning.

Message 6 of 9
RobW_73
Aspirant

Definitely plex. Had thousands of *.ts and *.m4s files. All deleted. 

Might have made an error in deleting the *.ts files. Luckily - i have made a backup (last night) so can restore. 

Otherwise - thank you. I quite fancy doing more stuff at the command line now. 

EDIT: Out of interest, is there a way to increase the system root size. 4Gb seems a little small. If there is id like to increse it to about 50Gb.

EDIT2: upon further investigation im having to rebuild my plex library. Should not have deeleted the *.ts files. Oh, well. A learning oppotunity. 

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@RobW_73 wrote:

EDIT: Out of interest, is there a way to increase the system root size.

Unfortunately no.  

@RobW_73 wrote:

EDIT2: upon further investigation im having to rebuild my plex library. Should not have deeleted the *.ts files. Oh, well. A learning oppotunity. 

Were they in the data volume or in root?  Do you remember the path?

Message 8 of 9
RobW_73
Aspirant

Shame about not being able to increase the root file system.

Think it was /mint/media*

Will double check though.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements