× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ Hitachi 3TB Drives.

JGumley
Follower

ReadyNas NV+ Hitachi 3TB Drives.

I just purchased a ReadyNAS NV + 4 Bay, inserted 2 existing Hitachi 3TB Hard Drives (No Data on them) that I had in my old computer, powered everything on and now the Hard Drives read as 768Gb in size each. Any ideas on how I get them to be recognised as 3TB or there abouts. I have been fiddling around with the setting (X-Raid, Flex-Raid etc.) for a few days but no dice. Your input will be met with praise.
Message 1 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas NV+ Hitachi 3TB Drives.

There is no GPT support in the current firmware. Hopefully this comes in a future update. Without GPT support you can't utilise the full capacity of 3TB disks (well any disk greater than about 2.1TB in capacity actually).

You'll have to wait for such firmware if it ever comes or consider a move to a x86 ReadyNAS (there is GPT support for internal drives in 4.2.16 - currently in beta).

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 42
gjungle001
Aspirant

Noooooo don't tell me I have to upgrade my ReadyNAS NV+! My wife will kill me!

Do we know if there's any chance to support the 3Gb drives in the ReadyNAS SPARC based machines or should I give up hope now?
Message 3 of 42
ThatEvilGuy
Aspirant

I have ReadyNAS DUO and I'm curious about this too...

Would be great if NETGEAR did not forget about their old customers and updated NV+ and DUO.
Message 4 of 42
Nipedley
Aspirant

I'd also like to know if this is planned or if they've shelved this possibility. Could someone more knowledgeable please let us know?
Message 5 of 42
Evadman
Aspirant

The new firmware for the NV+ supports 4k sector sizes. Http://www.readynas.com/?p=4662

I don't have a 3TB drive to test with though. Since you mentioned the disks have no data on them, I would suggest upgrading the firmware and doing a factory reset, but I believe you will only get about 2 TB of space max from each drive as the new firmware doesn't support GPT to the best of my knowledge.
Message 6 of 42
PapaBear1
Guide

The current firmware does not support GPT. We have to give the development group to catch up with these drives. I find it interesting that gjungle001 had two of them existing in his old computer, but they are still not showing up on the market in the U.S. in great availablity. Newegg is not showing them, and Amazon only has them available on external sites, Buy.com lists them available in a 20 Pack.

One thing for sure, the Hitachi 3TB drives will not be recognized until the WD30EARS is, as both are GPT and the WD drive is now readily available (although with the add in board for desktop support). This is a major change in the PC world.
Message 7 of 42
ThatEvilGuy
Aspirant

As long as we get the official answer and confirmation that yes, indeed they are working on GPT for DUO and NV+ and 3TB drives will be supported for them, I'm fine with giving them time to catch up.

It's no answer at all that concerns me. All I want is the confirmation. Yey or Ney
Message 8 of 42
Nipedley
Aspirant

As above, I'm in no hurry for this at all I would just like to know if it is going to eventually be supported or if I should start saving up for a new NAS device for when I outgrow my 2TB drives.
Message 9 of 42
gjungle001
Aspirant

PapaBear wrote:
I find it interesting that gjungle001 had two of them existing in his old computer, but they are still not showing up on the market in the U.S. in great availablity.

Got me mixed up with JGumley there PapaBear.

However, I dunno about the US market but they are showing up in Australia at reasonable prices. Personally I'm just about to outgrow my 1Tb drives in my NV+ and would rather jump to 3Tb directly then go via 2Tb drives.

As has already been stated though - I'd just like an affirmative that they will be supported... eventually.
Message 10 of 42
PapaBear1
Guide

Sorry about that.
Message 11 of 42
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi all, I guess I did a stupid thing by going out and buying a few 3tb drives to upgrade my NAS 😞

Any word on when the Hitachi drives will be supported in the NV+?
Message 12 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I doubt they'll be supported on Sparc ReadyNAS (e.g. NV+) due to reading a twitter comment by yoh-dah which I've referred to elsewhere: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=49775&p=284341#p284341
Message 13 of 42
ThatEvilGuy
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
I doubt they'll be supported on Sparc ReadyNAS (e.g. NV+) due to reading a twitter comment by yoh-dah which I've referred to elsewhere: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=49775&p=284341#p284341

That pretty much settles it then, BTW which models are X86?
Message 14 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All NetGear branded ReadyNAS except the Duo, NV+ and 1100, I think. So far x86 ReadyNAS include: NVX, Ultra Series, Ultra Plus Series, Pro, Pro Series, 1500, 2100, 3200, 3100 and 4200.

Note that you can't migrate your disks from a Sparc ReadyNAS to a x86 ReadyNAS (see http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#How_do_I_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_ReadyNAS_to_anoth...) so put the 3TB disks in the x86 ReadyNAS and e.g. transfer your data across your network.
Message 15 of 42
radboudp
Aspirant

Hi there,

Just bought an NV+ and four 3TB disks (two Hitachi, two WD). Great to hear they are currently not supported... NOT!
Even better to hear they probably never will be supported... NOT!

So what should I do? Buy 2TB disks and return the 3TB disks?

Later,
Radboud
Message 16 of 42
TeknoJnky
Hero

buy an ultra 4, upgrade to beta t33, factory default, enjoy your 8tb of space
Message 17 of 42
JessKaufman
Aspirant

While I am happy to hear that there will (shortly) be GPT support in the firmware in x86 ReadyNAS products, you don't say which models those are. I check the Hard drive compatibility page on netgear site, and none of the listed models show support for drives over 2 Tb. Assuming I purchased one of the ones you specify as x86 type products, how do i get the 4.2.16 firmware update to suppor my 4 new Hitachi 3 Tb drives?
Message 18 of 42
TeknoJnky
Hero

all of the x86 models use the same firmware and have/will have gpt support.

there are no 3tb drives on the HCL because the firmware has not been finalized, nor have they apparently finished any testing with any drives. There is no guaruntee there will ever be supported 3tb drives, but surely whey will have some eventually.

just because a drive is not listed, does not mean it won't work, nor does just becasue a drive is listed, does not mean they won't go bad.

you can get 4.2.16 beta in the beta forum

in the other existing threads regarding 3tb drives and x86 devices, some users have had success by adding 1 drive, upgrading the firmware to .16 then factory defaulting with all drives.

Others have had to factory default with .16 with 1 drive, then add the drives one at a time.

your mileage may vary, batteries not included, objects in mirror are close than they appear, the light at the end of the tunnel may be a train
Message 19 of 42
JessKaufman
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, but the largest portion of my question is still unanswered .. and that is, which models are x86?

I looked at the comparison sheets, and it seems that the ReadyNas Ultra series have intel duo core processors, so would that be a compatible model that the beta firmware will work on?
Message 20 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

JessKaufman wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but the largest portion of my question is still unanswered .. and that is, which models are x86?

Most of the NetGear models are. The Duo, NV+ and 1100 are Sparc ReadyNAS though.

Currently the x86 models include, the NVX, Ultra Series, Ultra Plus Series, Pro, Pro Series, 1500, 2100 3200, 3100 and 4200

JessKaufman wrote:

I looked at the comparison sheets, and it seems that the ReadyNas Ultra series have intel duo core processors, so would that be a compatible model that the beta firmware will work on?

The Ultra Series have Intel Atom processors, some have single core, others have dual core. The Ultra 6 Plus has a Pentium Dual Core. Take a look at CPU Specs of the ReadyNAS

The 4.2.16 beta firmware will run on all x86 ReadyNAS.
Message 21 of 42
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Just got my ReadNAS Ultra 4...where do I find the 4.2.16 beta?
Message 22 of 42
CharlesLaCour
Aspirant

Message 23 of 42
JessKaufman
Aspirant

Well i finally got it all together. now have a readynas Ultra 4 with 4 x 3 Tb Hitachi drives for about 8.5 Tb storage with X-RAID protection (one drive can die and all data stays intact). Not bad.

To others: you have to do the firmware upgrade without a 3 Tb drive (which I could not seem to make happen) or with a drive < 2 Tb. If you use the 3 Tb drive initially, you will not ever realize the 3 Tb of space (ask me how i know that). Instead, I used a single 500 Gb drive, installed the firmware upgrades, then did a factory reset, powered down, removed the 500 Gb drive and stuck in a 3 Tb drive. After power up, the ReadyNAS will begin preparing the drive. Then you just add the other drives and they will get prepared one by one, in order, as each one is done. Then I transferred all my data over after the entire RAID was up and running.
Message 24 of 42
zmalex
Aspirant

Jess:
Did you get the Deskstar or Ultrastar?

I would like to have 3GB too but already the Ultrastar 2GB version is more expensive then the 3GB Deskstar. Not to mention the 3GB Ultrastar. Phew.

Does anyone know if the Ultrastar are worth the extra money?
Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements