× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas ultra 6 fan replacement

sebcbien31
Aspirant

Readynas ultra 6 fan replacement

Hello,

Got a readynas ultra6. Fan is blowing a very little. I heard that noctua fan is a good choice as replacement
Do you have a reference which can be ordered
thru amazon ?

Thanks !
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas ultra 6 fan replacement

Message 2 of 11
sebcbien31
Aspirant

Thanks stephen.
I replaced the fan with Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX, https://amzn.eu/d/9BAIVNq
Temp is now 72°C instead of 80-ish °C

But when when system fall asleep after few hours fan stop rotating and system temperature rises critically

How can I prevent the system to stop the fan in such condition ?
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@sebcbien31 wrote:
Thanks stephen.
I replaced the fan with Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX, https://amzn.eu/d/9BAIVNq
Temp is now 72°C instead of 80-ish °C

But when when system fall asleep after few hours fan stop rotating and system temperature rises critically

How can I prevent the system to stop the fan in such condition ?

Not sure what's going on with that - perhaps @Sandshark will offer some ideas.

Is the system cooling set to "cool"  Or one of the other two settings?

Message 4 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

The problem with replacing the fan with another brand is that the "stall speed" may be higher, which sounds like your problem.  Your fan's minimum speed is higher than the stock one.  The fan comes on faster at power-on, and then gets trimmed to the necessary speed to maintain the desired temperature.  But the OS is trying to trim your fan to something below it's minimum.

The minimum is set in /etc/sensors.d/system.conf.  Note that that is a symbolic link to /etc/frontview/sensors/ULTRA66.conf (in your case for an Ultra6).  While it seemed to have no effect when I tried it some time ago, other have had success.  So I suspect that there is a limit and my trial of 2000 (to insure I could see a difference) was too large.  To prevent OS updates from overwriting it, I suggest you replace the link with a real file and make that file read-only once you verify it has worked.

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Note that that is a symbolic link to /etc/frontview/sensors/ULTRA66.conf (in your case for an Ultra6). 

Did you mean ULTRA6.conf ????

@Sandshark wrote:

The problem with replacing the fan with another brand is that the "stall speed" may be higher, which sounds like your problem.  Your fan's minimum speed is higher than the stock one.  The fan comes on faster at power-on, and then gets trimmed to the necessary speed to maintain the desired temperature.  But the OS is trying to trim your fan to something below it's minimum.

@sebcbien31: My Pro 6 doesn't have this issue.  The mininum fan speed (fan3_min) is set to 600 in my system.conf file, it appears to be set to 400 in yours.  One review I've seen says the minimum speed for your Noctua is 450 rpm.  

I'd probably just increase fan3_min to 600, but you could try 450 first, and see if that is enough.

Message 6 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

Note that that is a symbolic link to /etc/frontview/sensors/ULTRA66.conf (in your case for an Ultra6). 

Did you mean ULTRA6.conf ????

Yeah.  Need to proof-read my responses better.

Message 7 of 11
sebcbien31
Aspirant

Only way I currently found is to disable system sleep thru power setting menu

Thanks @StephenB gor replying
@Sandshark might help hopefully 🙂
Message 8 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Yeah, keeping the drives spinning could maintain a temperature high enough that the system doesn't reduce the speed below the fan's minimum.  Are you saying you tried modifying system.conf and it didn't work?

Message 9 of 11
sebcbien31
Aspirant

Thanks @Sandshark
I meant that it seemed that few hours after disk spun down, the system fan fall to 0 rpm.
I will try to edit system.conf as you suggested
Message 10 of 11
sebcbien31
Aspirant

@Sandshark @stephenbThanks ! It did the trick : system fan now keep spinning after hdd spun down.
I set the min fan 3 to 1000.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements