× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Silverstone SX650-G for ReadyNAS Pro 6

oshae
Tutor

Silverstone SX650-G for ReadyNAS Pro 6

I've been searching around and couldn't find anything regarding this specific line of PSU. I never bought a SeaSonic replacement for my Pro 6 and it seems to be out of stock now. And from what I understand it only had 2 power leads for the required 3 molex connectors that power the drives.

My PSU is still ok (knock on wood), but I am going to order something to have on hand just in case. After some searching I found the Silverstone SX650-G full modular, and am curious if anyone has any experience using it in a Pro 6 (or similiar).

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=762&area=en

Dimension wise it looks like it will fit, and is in fact a little bit slimmer so would protrude into the chassis a bit less. But the height and width are almost identical. The only difference I see is that the fan would not fit or protrude through the cutout in the back, which I can't see as a big deal. The fan will just but up against the back of the chassis.

The best part, is that it has 3 individual 4-pin peripheral connectors. The 24-pin ATX connector is 300mm (11.8") in length, which I'm not sure if that is long enough or not?

Either way, just thought I would mention this one if anyone else has been looking around. I'm considering ordering one to see if it will work. There is also an SX500-G and SX600-G. The 500 has 3 4-pin connectors as well, but strangely the 600 does not.

I'm also trying to figure out if any of the cables from CableMod will work with these.

Message 1 of 7
bedlam1
Prodigy

Re: Silverstone SX650-G for ReadyNAS Pro 6

Why not go for THIS

Message 2 of 7
oshae
Tutor

Possible I guess. But hard to argue with Silverstone and full modular. 🙂

Message 3 of 7
xjrguy
Aspirant

Here is what I did last weekend.

My ReadyNas Pro 6 powersupply died. It was exhibiting weird random reboots and also falsely marking volumes as bad. It would also fail to spin the fans.

I did not want to go SeaSonic again so I did some research. These units (and the ReadyNas Ultra 6 Plus) use SFX power supplies. SFX is a form factor not a brand.

Luckily I have Fry's electronics near me. I picked up two new SFX power supplies. One for my Pro 6 and the other for my Ultra 6 Plus.

I replaced the Pro 6 power supply with a Corsair SF600. This is probably the best power supply in this segment and complete overkill for this application. I did not want to deal with this again and the unit is quality with a seven year warranty. It's a 600W power supply.

The Ultra 6 Plus power supply was replaced with an Enermax Revolution SFX650w. This is a 650 watt power supply.

They worked out of the box with no issues at all EXCEPT for needing an ATX 24 pin power cable extension (Male to Female). The quality in build on both the Corsair and Enermax is apparent. Way better than the stock SeaSonic.

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Thx for posting this, it's useful to get info on specific SFX supplies that work well with the Pro/Ultra Plus.

Message 5 of 7
oshae
Tutor

Sorry for resurfacing an old thread. But something stood out in this post below.

You mention using the Corsair SF600. According to their site it only has 2 x 4-pin SATA/peripheral connectors (unless I missed something). Meaning each connector would be powering 3 drives. The stock power supply and the SilverStone I posted below has 3 x 4-pin connectors.

Is this a concern at all, or is the overall wattage of the power supply compensating for this?

Message 6 of 7
xjrguy
Aspirant

Yes, the SF600.

Mine came with a modular cableset that included a four pin Molex Power connector that had four connections.

The backplane of the Readynas Pro and Ultra 6 family have three molex connectors and each one powers two drives.

I have had no problems with this power supply and this is how the original SeaSonic powered the unit as well, just with less "headroom"

Remember, the 600 watt supply won't pull 600 watts or even 300 if it doesn't need to. It's great to have the capacity or overhead just in case.

My fully populated Readynas 6 and UltraPlus both filled with 2TB drives use under 150 watts each during use. 🙂

Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements