× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Successfully completed diagnostics

claynz
Aspirant

Successfully completed diagnostics

Successfully completed diagnostics
System
Volume root is degraded

Logs
2020-09-20 15:35:05: BTRFS: error (device md127) in btrfs_ioctl_snap_destroy:2711: errno=-5 IO failure

I'm only running 2 drives in this unit, both are Type: JBOD how do I fix this error?

Thanks

Clayton

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you don't have a backup of the data on the disk, you should take care of that first.

After that I'd run a disk test, and confirm that the drive has errors.  You can try doing that from the volume settings wheel.  Or you can shut down the NAS and test the disk in a Windows PC with vendor tools (seatools or lifeguard).

Message 2 of 8
claynz
Aspirant

Ok, everyhting has been backed up on both disks, which disk is it?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@claynz wrote:

which disk is it?

Download the full log zip from the web ui.  Then look in mdstat.log - it will tell you what device is in what array.

For instance, in one of my systems you can see that md127 uses sda:

Personalities : [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] 
md126 : active raid1 sdb3[0]
      5855671808 blocks super 1.2 [1/1] [U]

md127 : active raid1 sda3[0]
      5855672832 blocks super 1.2 [1/1] [U]

Then look in disk-info.log, and it will tell you the bay, disk type, and serial number.  For instance, in my own system...

Device:             sda
Controller:         0
Channel:            0
Model:              WDC WD60EFRX-68L0BN1
Serial:             WD-xxxxxxxxxx

The "channel" is the bay - note it starts from 0, not 1.

While there, you should also look at the SMART stats for the drive, and see if there are any issues.  Drives can/do fail even with good SMART stats, but it's still worth a look.

There could be other clues in system.log and kernel.log on disk issues.

If you take the disk out for testing, power the NAS down first, and keep it powered down until you return the disk.

Message 4 of 8
claynz
Aspirant

I have taken both disks out of the NAS and scan them on a Windows PC using Seatools doing a Long Generic & SMART tests and both reported back as ok.

I only have 2 disks in the NAS at the moment 10TB on channel 1 and 16TB on channel 3

I took the other 2 out a while ago as I wasn't using them.

maybe you can make something of the 2 log files you mentioned, but can not attach as .zip

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@claynz wrote:

but can not attach as .zip

There is some personal info in the log zip, so it shouldn't be posted publicly.

You can send a PM (private message) to the mods - @JohnCM_S and @Marc_V - and ask them to analyze the log zip.  Upload the zip to cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc) and send a download link in the PM.  Also include a link to this forum thread.

Message 6 of 8
claynz
Aspirant

Not much info in these 2 log files and nothing personal, can I just copy and paste it?

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@claynz wrote:

Not much info in these 2 log files and nothing personal, can I just copy and paste it?

Yes, there's nothing personal in there (except perhaps the disk serial numbers).  I like to use the "insert code" tool ( </> ) for log snippets

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements