× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

UPS: confused. Need help, suggestions

Scouser
Aspirant

UPS: confused. Need help, suggestions

The HCL does not seem to exist for UPS. It just takes me back to this forum.

I have a ReadyNAS Pro6 RNDP6310. Which means it came fitted with 3 x 1TB disk.
I have since fitted 2 additional 1.5TB seagate disks (compatible with the HDL).
Believe it or not, I am near capacity and will be filling all 6 bays.

So with a Pro 6 with 6 bays filled, what is the suggested UPS to choose given the power requirements?

TIA
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: UPS: confused. Need help, suggestions

Almost any APC UPS meeting the power requirements will work provided it has a network port or a USB port (serial-to-usb does not work).

What UPS to get depends on what else you'll put on the UPS (if anything). A router, switch, PC, another ReadyNAS?

Personally I'm a fan of APC Smart-UPS units, but these are APC's top of the line. Depending on your needs cheaper units would probably be fine unless you have flakey power.
Message 2 of 6
Scouser
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply mdgm.
I only want to use it to power my Pro 6 and router.

OK, I just bught a APC 750 Smart UPS on ebay for £60! 1 yr old. It has USB. Hope this does the trick.
Message 3 of 6
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Since the community relies on the forum for UPS compatibility if you could post your results that would be a great contribution to our forums.
Message 4 of 6
Scouser
Aspirant

Sure thing.
Here's what happened. The seller contacted me and apologised but it was stolen so he could not sell it to me.
So I bid on another one and won that at £20! I picked it up locally. The batteries were dead ...actually they had burst open but they had not leaked any electrolyte.
Looking on the APC site for a new battery (type RBC48) they charge £99 + VAT + carriage. Ouch!
Good old ebay to the rescue.... I found this for 27.95 all inclusive: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260813779857?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Worried about incompatibility or cheap copy I peeled off the sticker on the old battery and would you believe it is made by the same manufacturer "Vision".
It arrived the next day! It is "the" exact same battery, same part number, same manufacturer everything. Plugged it in the UPS and up she came. I attached the Pro 6 and my router to it. Fitted the USB cable and
Immediately frontview recognised the UPS and said it was 60% charged....about 1 hour later it was 100% charged with 81 minutes of backup power. Feeling the urge to test it, I took the plunge and pulled the the power off the UPS. The UPS kicked in immediately and frontview sent me a message to alert me. I waited 30 minutes on UPS power. Frontview said it was still 76% charged. Impressed I put the power back on the UPS.

So in all, I would say that the APC Smart-UPS 750 (model SUA750) is fully compatible.

Some things to be aware of:
1) The APC site specifications for this model state: "USB connectivity: Provides management of the UPS via a USB port (not available on all models)."
Ensure that the device has an external USB socket before you buy.

2) The software provided normally on a CDROM with the device is available online from APC. It's called Powerchute. This software allows you to configure the device: turn the beep off/on, set the alert notification contact email, customize a schedule for the shutdown and reboot of connected equipment, other management control and so on. This software "IS" available for Linux but its an rpm file and there's no .deb equivalent. I could use Alian to convert it to a debian package but I dont want to take the chance of installing and possibly buggering up my Pro 6. There is a NO support for the Mac. In the end, I used the WIndows version. But in any case, in order to use Powerchute, you need the network management card fitted to the UPS. I don't have that yet.

I note there are several APC 750's on ebay for sale between £20 and £100. I recommend getting the cheapest one you an find and buying a new battery for it. Mine cost me a total of £47.95 which is damned cheap for an APC Smart UPS and it works perfectly with my Pro 6. I have 4 bays filled at the moment. If it powers the Pro 6 it will power any other product in the ReadyNas range.

Hope this helps.
Message 5 of 6
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Great, thank you for sharing your results. I know they will be helpful to our ReadyNAS users! 🙂
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements