× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

eSATA RAID Enclosure/port multiplier

efalsken
Aspirant

eSATA RAID Enclosure/port multiplier

I've got a ReadyNAS Pro (6-drive version) with lots of disks in it that are approaching full. Since I've already got 2TB disks in each slot, I'm starting to look at further possible expansions. One of the options I'm considering is a multi-disk eSATA enclosure. I realize that my ReadyNAS has only 1 eSATA port, so I'm looking for either:

• an enclosure that does its own RAID. (would appear the same as a single large external drive share)

• A port-multiplier that can expose more than 1 disk to the ReadyNAS. (whether-or-not the readynas can use the disks in conjunction with the internal disks as a monster RAID or individually, as long as they are accessible)

I suppose that the RAID-ing enclosures are probably more expensive. But I was surprised when I started doing my research and found multi-drive "port multiplier" enclosures for quite cheap. (Like this 4-drive port-multiplier enclosure for $99, or this 4-drive RAID enclosure for $189)

I realize that these disks might not be able to add capacity to my existing volumes. I just want a simple way to host some extra disks on my ReadyNAS so I don't have to either buy a second ReadyNAS or attach a bunch more HDDs to my desktop (the whole reason I bought the ReadyNAS in the first place).
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: eSATA RAID Enclosure/port multiplier

The only supported way to add storage to your Pro if all 6 drives bay are full and you don't wish to replace the disks with higher capacity ones would be to add USB drives. eSATA is not supported.
Message 2 of 4
efalsken
Aspirant

Does anyone know a good USB RAID enclosure that won't be more expensive than a new NAS?
Message 3 of 4
PapaBear1
Guide

I think if you would look at the ports on your Pro (or Pro6) there are no eSATA ports, there are 3 USB2 ports.

Second, I have a Sans-Digital TR5M-B 5-Bay JBOD/Raid 0/1/5 box that I have had for two years. (The upgraded version on Newegg is $175). It comes with a PCIe card, so it requires a desktop. I cannot speak to the upgraded version, but my two year old one will not work without the PCIe card. However, with 5 different disks in it, not set up as RAID, but just installed with default, it acts as a JBOD box with each disk showing up separately in Windows. I used it for backups of my NV+ onto a 2GB Samsung HD and also other disk operations (such as wiping partitions and cloning drives). It is a bit of a hassle to install a disk for a short time, but easier than opening the desktop. While it may be possible to set up a RAID configuation, I have never done it. It sits next to my backup ReadyNAS NVX but is off 99% of the time.

The absolute best way to back up an NAS is to a second NAS. It can be set up automatically and will accessible via the network, whereas the eSATA box will only be accessible that way if the volume is shared to the network since it is attached to a PC. However, if you have some files that do not change, but you still want access to (such as video files) it would be a good repository for those.

Check out the details on the 4 bay $99 Sans-Digital - it does not have the bundled port multiplier card that is required (an additional $63). That brings the package to $162, for $13 more you can get the 5 bay that comes bundled with the card. For it purpose of quickly connecting various drives to your desktop, they work great. But are not a replacement for a networked NAS. But they also don't have the pricetag.

If I understand your situation, you have an array approaching 10TB (6 bays single redundancy) that has no backup. In my mind you need to consider a backup plan. Ask yourself this simple question - "What would I do if my NAS was off and would not boot in the morning?" That is not the only risk to your data, for what would you do if you came home and found your home burglarized and your NAS is gone?

If you are like most home users, a small percentage of your data volume is critical to important. (Financial information, personal photos/videos, etc) In my case I have a data volume of approximately 2.5TB of which less than 200GB falls into this category for me. I used to keep a WD Passport with this info on it in my desk at the office. When I retired, I moved it to my SD box at the back. I have two drives which I alternate around the first of every month. For routine backups, my NVX BE backs up to my NVX Pioneer every night automatically. Both have 4 disks (2x3TB and 2x1TB). The remaining 2TB of my data is videos which can be replaced, but would be a hassle and take time.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements