× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacement Power Supply for UK NV+

iposner
Aspirant

Replacement Power Supply for UK NV+

I have an NV+. After shutting it down cleanly the other day, it now won't switch on. There's no light when I press the power button, no noise/fans/etc. I've tried changing the power lead, but it's dead as a dodo.

I guess my power supply is broken. Where can I buy a new one from in the UK? Where can I find instructions on how to replace the power supply?
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replacement Power Supply for UK NV+

There might be some still out there, though they seem to be very hard to find.

It is possible to modify the cable in a standard ATX supply, however the supply is unlikely to fit inside the chassis. http://www.readynas.com/download/archiv ... pinout.pdf
Message 2 of 6
iposner
Aspirant

Lo and behold - after leaving it switched off for a further day, it switches on perfectly. Go figure... problem solved. (I've got a backup NAS anyway).
Message 3 of 6
iposner
Aspirant

I spoke too soon. Powered it down again. Now it won't power on at all. Now I need a power supply.
Message 4 of 6
voidfunc
Aspirant

As StephenB said, it seems like it is pretty hard to get power supplies for the NV+. About three or four years ago I had to replace the power supply on our NV+ v1 with an external ATX power supply, so I can vouch for the ability to do this to an NV+ v1. (We were no longer under warranty and were not one of the serial numbers eligible for replacement.)

I looked around the website some, and I believe that this is the thread that I referenced when working on ours:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13492

No power supplies that will fit inside the case were available in our area, so I set up a Zumax ZU-360B ATX power supply outside of the NV+ v1. If you look at the PDF that StephenB linked to, you can see that the pins are different on the NV+ and a regular ATX power supply. You can buy an extension cord that will run between the power output on the ATX PSU and the power input inside the NV+. This will allow you to swap the necessary pins without voiding the warranty on your ATX PSU. It will also make it easier to position the ATX beside the NV+, as you can feed the extension cord through the hole in the back of the NV+ where the power plug used to go, once you have removed the original, dead NV+ PSU.

The actual swapping of the pins on the extension cord and installation of the new PSU didn't take very long, and the unit has run flawlessly since then. (We ran it every day for a year after that, and we still use it occasionally even now.) So, if you need to get the unit back up quickly or are unable to find a proper replacement, the same procedure might work well for you, assuming that your NV+ is a v1. (I have never done this to a v2.)

Anyway, hope this helps some, and I hope it isn't rude of me to be jumping into a thread like this. (I'm just trying to find something to help with since I am receiving help from others in my own thread.)
Message 5 of 6
hungdinh
Initiate

All,

My NV+ power was dead two weeks ago. After researching online and here, I was about to buy a PSU replacement unit on Amazon for $99.00. But then more research tells me that I can use a standard ATX power supply. So I went to my garage and found an old computer case, took the Power supply out, tested it (by connecting the green wire to the chassis - or any Black wire), and changed the Pin on the connector, and then hooked it up. Voila !!! NV+ came back online...

But then I was not still happy with the result. The old ATX power supply is now sitting outside of the NV+, with a bunch of wires that look terrible. So I looked it up again online, and found a potential small ATX power supply that might fit the original NV+ PSU. I found some on ebay, but not sure about the physical size of the unit. These PSU is call mini-ITX form factor, which is built for very small computer case. Then I went to Microcenter, they do have one off the shelf : http://www.microcenter.com/product/417341/270_Watt_Flex_ATX_Power_Supply for $30
Bought it home, the physical size is almost identical with the orginal NV+ PSU. I went through the process of PIN changing again, hook it up and tested. It worked like a charm. Final step was to clean up the wires (Cut up unnecessary wires, wrap them in electrical tapes), and then installed in the NV+ chassis. Everything works, and looks almost exactly as the orginal NV+.

My final cost is $30.00 compared to the Amazon cost of $99.00. It is worth the research effort.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements