Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Display Access Control List in NetGear Genie after FW Update V1.0.2.78

Curt42
Follower

Display Access Control List in NetGear Genie after FW Update V1.0.2.78

Hi.

I recently upgraded the firmware of my NetGear wireless router model WNDR3700v4 to FW level V1.0.2.78.  I noticed some menu changes and after poking around, found the button to the ACL menu.  A fundamental way of maintaining the ACL has changed so that I can no longer positively identify the active devices on my router, something I could do through a sequence of displays prior to the FW upgrade, that is to say without a lot of hunting.  The active device list has always shown the device name as what I presume to be the machine name on the device as opposed to the name I had specified in the ACL table when defining the device. Prior to the FW update, I could go into the ACL maintenance menu and compare the macaddr of the active device to the macaddr in the ACL edit menu and determine easily which device it was.  Now, I can only display the non-connected devices with my own user supplied device names. Connected devices display with the device name coming from the device itself, and I can't display the ACL entry for these active devices to get the name I specified in the table.

Is there some way to map the ACL device name to the machine device name for actively connected devices using the Netgear genie  without having to maintain a separate spreadsheet (i.e. to display "Jeffs-Phone" instead of or in addition to just "ANDROID-A1B2C3D4E5F6A7B8" in teh active device display)?  My phone shows up as <Unknown>, for Pete's sake!

Curt

Message 1 of 2
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Display Access Control List in NetGear Genie after FW Update V1.0.2.78

Hi @Curt42,

You should still be able to specify the name of a connected device through Access Control. You can do this by accessing the router's UI > Advanced > Security > Access Control > Select the check box on the left of the connected device (assuming you already had Access Control enabled and the device connected to the network) > Select Edit on top of the table > Assign your preferred device name > Apply. You should now see the new device name.

You can also do this using the NETGEAR Genie program/app. Once you have it opened, select Network Map > Select the device > Select Modify > Input your preferred device name > Apply. This is also one way to manage the Access Control feature of the router. You can download the program/app for your specific device using the link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7