Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Genie Crashes

gmhyman
Guide

Re: Netgear Genie Crashes

OK, 2.4.12 appears stable.  Any idea when the newer version will get replace with something that works?

Message 26 of 70
Archon-
Aspirant

New version crashes on Windows 10.  I suggest providing a permanent link on your site, since this will be a constant request.

Message 27 of 70
gmhyman
Guide

So far, it's not Windows 10, it's the ASUS usb-a56 wifi USB3 device driver.  I've provided various debug information for NetGear to get to the bottom of this.

Message 28 of 70
dmowbray
Aspirant

I don't know about this "not windows". I have a Lenovo, no Asus drivers of any kind anywhere. I was running windows 7 with Genie and it was fine. I upgraded to Windows 10 and it was still fine. Then I upgraded Genie and it was not fine. I have rolled back on both my Windows 10 machines (neither of which has any Asus drivers) to the earlier version with no problems.

Cheers

David

Message 29 of 70
gmhyman
Guide

Definitely sounds different than my problem.  I'd suggest logging a support call - that's what I did and eventually got a debugging tool that produced results that NetGear software engineering is now analyzing.

Message 30 of 70
dmowbray
Aspirant

Interesting as I was the one who first reported the Windows 10 problem (and received a roll back link from Netgear) back last October.

Cheers

David

Message 31 of 70
gmhyman
Guide

To be clear - it's obvious there's a problem with .20 genie, and it appears only on windows 10, but there's more to it than that - some device seems to be the cause.  One diagnostic method - which is how I found that at least in my case it was the ASUS wifi - is to see if it works in safe mode.  Unfortunately, getting win 10 into safe mode is a bit more complex than it was in win 7 - you'll need to google windows 10 safe mode to get the details.  If it works in safe mode (as it did for me), then the cause is some device or startup not loaded in safe mode. 

My experience has been the Netgear support is far more helpful in this case than in the other horribly broken device I'm dealing with - the EX6200 extender.  I've got a separate thread going on that, with far less satisfactory results.

Message 32 of 70
RatherBe
Aspirant

Hello

Could I please have the download link for this older version, as I am also getting the 'Netgear Genie Has Stopped Working' message when I try to open it on Windows 10.

Thanks

Message 33 of 70
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @RatherBe,

You use the download link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6Vk92eE81a20xRjg/view?usp=sharing

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 34 of 70
Tpa11
Aspirant

Tried running Genie using above link ; but same - stopped working.

Running on win 10.

Message 35 of 70
David_M
Tutor

This link works and the older version of Genie works fine with WIn 10. Thanks!  When will you fix the problems with the new one?

Message 36 of 70
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

You may follow the temporary work around for this issue.

1. Uninstall the NETGEAR Genie program from the computer/device.
2. Download the previous version (2.4.12) of the NETGEAR Genie.

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6Vk92eE81a20xRjg/view?usp=sharing

3. Install the program and check if it functions correctly.
4. Locate the drivers folder under C:\Program Files\NETGEAR Genie\bin and copy it to the desktop.
5. Download and install the latest version of NETGEAR Genie again using the download link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie/aspx

6. Look for the same folder under the same location and delete the folder.
7. Replace the folder with the folder that you pasted on the desktop from the working version of NETGEAR Genie.
8. Close the NETGEAR Genie program through the system tray.
9. Re-open the NETGEAR Genie program and check if it works.
10. The version number may display 2.4.12 since it is using the drivers for that version.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 37 of 70
theonly350z28
Aspirant

wont download, say file is corrupt after scan, please help wont work on windows 10

Message 38 of 70
theonly350z28
Aspirant

sorry had to download on chrome to make the download to work. IE does scan.

Message 39 of 70
Kelvinthegamer8
Aspirant

can you send me the file again to my email, my email is kloev3@outlook.com

thank you

Message 40 of 70
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Kelvinthegamer8,

I won't be able to send you a the file but you may use the download link below for the previous version. You can the follow the steps I have posted on this thread.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=UIbaQA57FX

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 41 of 70
BelmontJohnny
Aspirant

Can Netgear please give us some semblance of an update as to when this issue will be resolved?  It has persisted for over 3 months.  Not like Windows 10 is going away any time soon.  Unacceptable.

Message 42 of 70
NormFanning
Aspirant

I When I download the recommended file I get a message that states the file signature is corrupt and invalid.  What gives?

Message 43 of 70
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @BelmontJohnny,

We sincerely apologize if it has taken longer than expected. The cause of the issue was just recently discovered. Rest assured, engineering is working on the fix for the update.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 44 of 70
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @NormFanning,

You may use the link below to download the drivers from the previous version and use it to replace the ones on latest version.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=t5vfprrkm7

You can navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin\drivers and have the files pasted on that location.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 45 of 70
Larry-Simmons
Aspirant

I am having this problem on a Surface Book with Windows 10 after installing a Nighthawk R8500 an downloading the Netgear Genie. When I clicked on the Desktop icon it would fail.

I discovered that if I did the following it would work.

1. Hover over the Windows Start and press the Right Mouse Button.

2. Select "Control Panel"

3. Select "Hardware and Sound"

4. Select "Devices and Printers"

5. Under the "Devices" section the "R8500(Gateway)" was displayed. By clicking on this item the current version of the Netgear Genie displayed a much larger screen that was adjustable in size. Much easier to read on the higher resolution screens.

Message 46 of 70
suryauma
Aspirant

I cannot believe Netgear can sell $300 routers with Parental control advertised outside the box and it cannot even load on Windows 10 !!  If previous version works, then WHY NOT PUBLISH THAT UNTIL THEIR ROCKET SCIENTISTS figure out a solution before windows 14 release.

Sorry...very frustrated user. thanks for all the help.

Surya

Message 47 of 70
lannex
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

Could you please repost the link to download the Genie old version

Thank you and Regards,

Message 48 of 70
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @lannex,

There have been reports of some users encountering an error during installation of the older version of the NETGEAR Genie. I recommend installing the latest version instead then replace the drivers folder with the one from the previous version. You may refer to the steps below.

1. Install the latest version of NETGEAR Genie. You may use the download link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

2. Once you have successfully installed the program, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin
3. Delete the drivers folder.
4. Download the drivers from the previous version of NETGEAR Genie using the download link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6bEVUbmxtUTY0MW8/view?usp=sharing

5. Unzip the file to your preferred location (Desktop would be easy to locate). It will contain the drivers folder.
6. Copy the drivers folder that you have just unzipped and navigate back to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin
7. Paste the drivers folder.
8. Relaunch the NETGEAR Genie program

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 49 of 70
see-bo
Aspirant

Hello...Thanks for the solution, still did not work for me.

Message 50 of 70
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7