Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Genie and Android app - bypass login does not work

adamaster
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Genie and Android app - bypass login does not work

Hi Motterman, sorry I don't understand what you mean. This thread has to do with not being able to bypass the Live Parental Control web filter settings on the Netgear router from specific model smartphones (Samsung Galaxy S7 and J7).

Do you have one of these Galaxy phones, and are you able to bypass the webfilter from that phone?

Message 26 of 33
Motterman
Aspirant

Yes, I had replied earlier in the thread that I had the same problem with my Galaxy S6.

I wanted to activate parental controls on the kids' and other common use devices on my home network . The bypass login works on those. I get the same error as other people when trying to use the bypass login on my phone. 

So my work around was to go to Device Mapping from the Genie app on my computer and bypass my device (Samsung Galaxy S6) and just password protect my phone. 

Message 27 of 33
adamaster
Aspirant

That is a great feature I didn't realize was there...Thanks!

Message 28 of 33
Puppet21
Aspirant

Hello has there been any luck on this fix? Or do I have to get rid of all my netgear stuff and go with someone eles
Message 29 of 33
Rwfnetworking
Aspirant

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure what Netgear is doing on this issue, but I uninstalled Netgear Genie version 2.4.38 and installed version 2.4.34 and that seems do allow me to login to my bypass accounts. Version 2.4.36 may work as well, but I never tried it. Do avoid all versions 2.4.28 or older as they may contain serious security issues

Just Google "Netgear Genie 2.4.34" and you should find it OK. You will need to uninstall your old version and allow "Unknown Sources" under Settings|Security.

Enjoy
Message 30 of 33
adamaster
Aspirant

Hi Rwfnetworking, thanks for sharing your solution.

I tried it, but it didn't work for me.

To clarify, my issue is that on my Samsung J7 and S7 phones, the bypass accounts do not do their jobs. I have no problem logging into the bypass accounts, it's just that once I'm logged in, I cannot actually bypass my Router's web filter settings.

So yeah, I have this problem no matter which version of Genie I install on these smartphones, including 2.4.34 as you suggested.

Netgear Support was working with me pretty closely on this about a month ago.

I supplied them all kinds of info about my phones and home setup, and my configuration file from my router, so they can try to troubleshoot this scenario in their lab, however, haven't gotten a status update from them in a while.

Message 31 of 33
Rwfnetworking
Aspirant

Oh yea, make sure your tag the Genie App to not auto update.

Message 32 of 33
Rwfnetworking
Aspirant

Alas, I guess I jumped the gun on my previous post. I do have a new solution or should I say this got bypass mode working on my Android phone. You will not like the solution, but doing a factory reset on my phone seemed to do the trick. I actually had to reset for another reason, but I just noticed that Netgear Genie now works.

Message 33 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7