Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Night Hawk App missing parental controls

LeeGA
Follower

Night Hawk App missing parental controls

When you are logged in to the router, under basic, if you click on parental controls it takes you to a new tab/page with a stupid outdated video telling you to get the Genie app for your desktop. Genie has been retired, so has circle, at least for my model. It seems they want everything to go through the nighthawk app. Why oh why, would I want to get out my phone, and do something on an app, when I already have a browser window open on my desktop with the router interface loaded up and logged in? Even IF I was ok with this backwards way of managing my router, there is no parental control option on the nighthawk app. So how do you fix this? Apparently even Netgeart themsevles are a bit confused on how to do this, everything I find just seems to send me in circles like a dog chasing its tail. I see some older discusssions where folks say get the circle or genie app but that isn't an option for my model of router. Considering Netgear touts the nighthawk so highly, this is really dropping the ball on their part.

Model: R7450|Nighthawk AC2600 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
LittleMato
Aspirant

Re: Night Hawk App missing parental controls

Well, the parental controls also don't work in the app. HUGE disappointment.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 5

@LittleMato wrote:

Well, the parental controls also don't work in the app. HUGE disappointment.

What sort of "parental controls" are you looking for?

The Nighthawk App hasn't support the free version of parental controls in quote some  months. It does work with the paid for Circle.

More recently, Netgear has killed the free version of parental controls. Nothing to do with any of the apps. They have simply turned it off.

Message 3 of 5
LittleMato
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

What sort of "parental controls" are you looking for?

Well, I expected any parental control, even basic. Every router that I've had so far had this, even the cheapest ones (for instance block internet for specific user at a specific time, or limit some website access for specific users), obviously not the Netgear crap. I cannot believe that they expect me to purchase a 100usd-per-year subscription on a 200usd product, and this from Disney!

I regret purchasing my router from Netgear. And will never purchase any Netgear product again, that's a fact. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 5

Your first message said:

Well, the parental controls also don't work in the app.

Now you say:

@LittleMato wrote:

Well, I expected any parental control....

The Nighthawk App does support parental controls. So that first statement is puzzling. That you don't want to pay for it is understandable, but the app certainly supports it.

@LittleMato wrote:

Every router that I've had so far had this, even the cheapest ones (for instance block internet for specific user at a specific time, or limit some website access for specific users), obviously not the Netgear crap.

It isn't clear to me what you want to do, but some of that is there in the router's controls. It just isn't called "parental controls".

The "so far" bit may be the problem. Netgear is steadily shutting down these "free" services as it joins the rush to rent us hardware and to charge us to use it.

From what you say, other brands aren't quite as rapacious.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7