Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote Access For Dummies

Tim_Bowling
Follower

Remote Access For Dummies

I apologize if this is asked and answered somewhere in this maze of a website, but I have been going in circles for 30 minutes trying to find the simplest of answers: how? The other day, I was at work and the router needed rebooting. No one was home except for my wife and she didn't know how to do it. Finally, in desperation, I told her just to unplug the thing, wait 30 seconds or so, and plug it back in. When I dowloaded Genie, I saw something about "Access your router from anywhere". So I thought it might be a good idea to learn how to do it, in case we had another problem and I was at work, I would know exactly what to do. So tonight I came here to do a little research. Little is the key word, because I can find precious little information on how to do it. I can't even find the freaking login page, I don't know if there is a login page, or if I'm supposed to access my router from the Genie program. So, I'm asking that someone give me a "Remote Access For Dummies" lesson. I have a laptop computer, Windows 10, with Netgear Genie installed on it. Obviously, I have created a Netgear account, or I wouldn't be typing this right now. Also, if I can do this on my phone, I do have the Netgear Genie installed on it as well. It is an Android phone, an LG G4 to be exact. Anyone who would like to tackle this, or at least point me in the right direction would be my hero. Thank you.

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Remote Access For Dummies

Hi Tim,

To enable the (cloud based) remote access (on routers supporting it), you need to be on the router (W)LAN with your computer running the Netgear Genie Application. Bring the App up, and connect and authenticate to the router. Then go to the [Router Settings] - [Wireless Settigns] tab. There you have to do a [Logout] (from the local admin session) - and Login again ... in the Login widget, you have to change to Remote Access, and authenticate using the myNETGEAR account (same as on the community here).

FMI: How do I register my NETGEAR router with my remote access genie account using the Windows desktop ge...

Logic and user friendlyness? Smiley Frustrated Don't blame the messenger please.

With the iOS and Android Genie App its a little bit more obvious - there is a [Remote Access] button right on the main view - if connected to the (W)LAN locally, and authenticated to the router admin.

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies

Which router are you trying to control?

Not all hardware has this feature.

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Hi Tim,

To enable the (cloud based) remote access (on routers supporting it), you need to be on the router (W)LAN with your computer running the Netgear Genie Application. Bring the App up, and connect and authenticate to the router. Then go to the [Router Settings] - [Wireless Settigns] tab. There you have to do a [Logout] (from the local admin session) - and Login again ... in the Login widget, you have to change to Remote Access, and authenticate using the myNETGEAR account (same as on the community here).

FMI: How do I register my NETGEAR router with my remote access genie account using the Windows desktop ge...

Logic and user friendlyness? Smiley Frustrated Don't blame the messenger please.

With the iOS and Android Genie App its a little bit more obvious - there is a [Remote Access] button right on the main view - if connected to the (W)LAN locally, and authenticated to the router admin.

-Kurt

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7