Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router-Internet Speed using Nighthawk App

Topology
Virtuoso

Router-Internet Speed using Nighthawk App

Using a RAX120 router (1.0.1.114) connected to a CM1200 modem (1.02.02) with 1000Mbps service from Xfinity, the Nighthawk App (2.4.18.7 on iPhone 11 Pro) reports a download speed of 400-600Mbps – which is approximately 50% of the expected 1000Mbps speed. This result occurs whether WAN aggregation is enabled or disabled, using Cat 6a cables.

What are your thoughts on why I am unable to obtain a speed rating from the Nighthawk App close to 1000Mbps?

In advance, thank you for your insights.

P.S.: Xfinity technical support has run remote tests on the CM1200 modem, and they report that the connection to the modem is working properly. An on-site inspection of the connection by a technician is scheduled (but has not yet occurred).

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Router-Internet Speed using Nighthawk App

@Topology wrote:

Using a RAX120 router (1.0.1.114) connected to a CM1200 modem (1.02.02) with 1000Mbps service from Xfinity, the Nighthawk App (2.4.18.7 on iPhone 11 Pro) reports a download speed of 400-600Mbps – which is approximately 50% of the expected 1000Mbps speed.

What speeds do you get with wired devices? Wifi is never going to be as fact as wired. 

I don't know why you "expected" 1000Mbps. 400-600Mbps is faster than most wifi clients manage, regardless of the Internet speed.

Can your iPhone  get faster speeds on other routers?

How about using other speedtest sites?

You might find it enlightening to read this [page:

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

I'm sure you can find other pages that will tell you what to expect from your phone.

Message 2 of 3
Topology
Virtuoso

Re: Router-Internet Speed using Nighthawk App

Michaelkenward, perhaps I am confused? Is it not the case that the Nighthawk App reports the download speed received by the router (RAX120) directly from the modem (CM1200), because the speed test is actually running on the router itself? As a result, this measurement should be as pure and as accurate a reflection of the supplied Internet speed as is practically possible – and, therefore, should be reasonably close to 1000Mbps, which is the advertised speed from Xfinity?

P.S.: The article you referenced (Wi-Fi 4/5/6) is very informative – especially Appendix D (“Router WAN to LAN/WLAN throughput”).

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7