Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

genie conflicts when using broadcomm wireless utility but not Msoft utility

mswa
Aspirant

genie conflicts when using broadcomm wireless utility but not Msoft utility

I have a broadcomm wireless 2.4ghz card in a laptop, it comes with the broadcomm wireless utility v5.100.82.130 that allows me to select the wireless router to connect to and MSofts wireless utility is smart enough to be disabled so that it doesn't interfere with my wireless utility. However, Netgear genie is not smart enough since it keeps trying to connect to my wireless router even though I remove it from the netgear list, but on the next refresh is shows up again. Thus, Netgear genie and the Broadcomm wireless utility compete to control the connection to the wireless router since they connect/disconnect every two seconds as it bounces back and forth. There is currently no way in netgear genie for me just to use it as a tool to monitor the hardware, other wireless connections but not as a tool to connect to the wireless network, and just use the networkmap feature. So to get control back, I need to exit genie totally so that it doesn't show up in the system tray, and then the broadcomm wireless utility will work correctly.

Now if I'm not using the wireless card in the laptop and turn it off, but use the lan network, genie will work and let me monitor the network map

I have the latest version. Can this be fixed in the next release of genie?

Message 1 of 4
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: genie conflicts when using broadcomm wireless utility but not Msoft utility

Hi @mswa,

1. What version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

2. What is your NETGEAR device?

3. Removing the network from the list should not let it reconnect.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 4
mswa
Aspirant

1). Netgear genie v2.4 on windows xp sp3  x32

2). Although I have the PR2000 travel portable netgear router, this device isn't being used or connected. The cable modem router I have is Zoom 3d and using my broadcomm wireless to connect to this router on the laptop. Netgear genie runs in the background and is being used to create a network map picture of device coming and going but it tries to connect to the Zoom 3d router and screws up my broadcomm wireless application that controls the internal laptop wireless card. Thus it connects, then disconnects, then connects and disconnects as it fights with the broadcomm application for control. The netgear genie wifi connect list of routers automatically scans and then shows connected then it disappears and repeats. It must be looking at the preferred network connection that MSoft or Broadcomm uses to know what is my preferred network setting is. Moreover, the little terminal icon in the system tray shows X and stops blinking, then when it connects it blinks and bounces back and forth too. If I terminate netgear genie in the system tray, it then keeps me connected to the router.

Message 3 of 4
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @mswa,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7