Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk app not connecting with router

ChaplainSteve
Follower

nighthawk app not connecting with router

I INSTALLED THE NIGHTHAWK APP, HOOKED THE ETHERNET CABLE TO THE MODEM AS INSTRUCTED, AND POWERED UP THE ROUTER. ALL LOOKS NORMAL: HOWEVER, THE NIGHT HAWK APP DOESNT RECOGNIZE OR CANT FIND THE ROUTER. MY 1ST QUESTION WOULD BE DOES THE MODEM, ROUTER, AND THE WIFI EXTENDER USE THE SAME SSID, AND PASSWORD, OR DO ALL 3 HAVE SEPERATE SSID'S AND PASSWORDS. MY CONFIG IS MODEM TO ROUTER TO WIFI EXTENDER THE MODEM IS AN ATT AND THE ROUTER AND EXTENDER ARE BOTH NET GEAR. IM FRUSTRATED IVE TRIED EVERYTHING WATCHED THE YOU TUBE VIDEOS, AND FOLLOWED THE NIGHTHAWK APP. CAN ANYONE HELP ME GET THIS UP AND RUNNING 

THANKS

Model: R6230|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: nighthawk app not connecting with router

1. hit the caps locks key. Its next to the "A" key.  thanks

2. What firwmare is on the router?

3. What extender are you using?

4. What att box is it? att devices aren't know to function well in passthrough mode. And att tends to install modem/router combo devices. this creates a double nat and plenty of headache during setup. Here's what most have to do. 

Start by placing the R6230 in AP (access point) mode.  this leaves the ATT box controlling the routing function. then you can connect the extender to the netgear router. 

Some prefer to turn off the wifi on the ATT box but some leave it on and just make sure the wireless is on a different channel than the netgear equipment. up to you.

You'll also need to access the r6230 via the browser to switch it over to AP mode.  

Message 2 of 3

Re: nighthawk app not connecting with router

It is hard to understand what is going on (And not just because you are using 'shouty' capital letters that are hard to read.) To begin with I don't get this bit:

@ChaplainSteve wrote:

My 1st question would be does the modem, router, and the wifi extender use the same SSID, and password, or do all 3 have seperate SSID's and passwords.

I assume that the order is modem > router > extender

What is the make and model of the modem that sits in front of this R6230?  

Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If it is a modem/router you should sort this out before worrying about the extender.

The answers to your questions about SSIDs also depend on the modem of the extender.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7