Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

turn off Parental Control

lonelyduck
Initiate

turn off Parental Control

I'm on Comcast Xfinity and was using the Netgear/OpenDNS Live Parental Controls for content filtering (https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php). I'm not sure when the content filtering stopped working.  Now I'm trying to switch to OpenDNS Home. I have already signed up for OpenDNS Home and configured the settings there but my clients are still using the Comcast DNS addresses (75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76) so the OpenDNS Home filters are not working. When I log into 192.168.0.1-> Advanced-> Setup-> Internet Setup-> DNS, it shows the two OpenDNS DNS addresses (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) there. If I try to edit the DNS addresses, it says "The DNS Server setup will not take effect due to Parental Controls is enabled. If you need to configure DNS manually, please disable the Parental Controls". I looked around but don't see any place to disable Parental Controls when I'm logged into 192.168.0.1. I logged into https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php and set the filtering level to None and removed everything from the Block List/Allow List but the admin site, 192.168.0.1 still says Parental Controls is enabled.I installed the Nighthawk App on the smartphone but the app says my router is not supported. The current firmware on the C6900 is V1.01.35. Does anyone know how I can disable the Parental Controls so I can use the OpenDNS Home filters? Thank you in advance.

Model: C6900|High Speed Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
lonelyduck
Initiate

Re: turn off Parental Control

I erased my settings and reconfigured everything again. That cleared the Parental Controls so it is not enabled now. My clients are using the OpenDNS DNS servers now. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Szabo52
Aspirant

Press the up arrow on the remote to select Enable next to Parental Control Restrictions.
Press ok to display the options.
Press the down arrow to select Disable, and then press ok. A message prompts you to enter the parental lock code.
Enter the code and press ok.

Message 2 of 6

@lonelyduck wrote:

I'm on Comcast Xfinity and was using the Netgear/OpenDNS Live Parental Controls for content filtering (https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php). I'm not sure when the content filtering stopped working.

Netgear announced a while back that it is killing the free Live Parental Controls.

NOTICE: Live Parental Control Service based on Ope... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 3 of 6
lonelyduck
Initiate

I erased my settings and reconfigured everything again. That cleared the Parental Controls so it is not enabled now. My clients are using the OpenDNS DNS servers now. Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
Szabo52
Aspirant

Press the up arrow on the remote to select Enable next to Parental Control Restrictions.
Press ok to display the options.
Press the down arrow to select Disable, and then press ok. A message prompts you to enter the parental lock code.
Enter the code and press ok.

Thank you.garageband

Message 5 of 6
SaltyJohn
Aspirant

To disable Parental Controls on the orbi using the iPhone app: In the app upper left corner click the cloud button. Then click on "Settings", then "Parental Control" and finally disable the toggle switch. No need to factory reset.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7