Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Are Nighthawk EasyMesh routers compatible with Orbi AC and AX mesh networks?

FLGuy
Initiate

Are Nighthawk EasyMesh routers compatible with Orbi AC and AX mesh networks?

Could a Netgear EasyMesh router compatible such as the RAX80 for example be used to upgrade and support a mesh network with RBK23, RBK53, or RBK852 satellites?

The reason for doing this would be to provide a growth path, perhaps starting with RBK23 mesh network initially, and adding an RAX80 and RBK53 and/or RBK852 satellites over time to increase capacity and throughput. Would this approach work, technically?

If so, where can I find instructions and/or support for this application? Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Are Nighthawk EasyMesh routers compatible with Orbi AC and AX mesh networks?

Hello FLGuy, 

The Nighthawk Mesh system will be compatible with the RAX80 as long as the Nighthawk mesh router is set to access point mode. However, we recommend our Orbi units are paired with other Orbi units. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
FLGuy
Initiate

Re: Are Nighthawk EasyMesh routers compatible with Orbi AC and AX mesh networks?

EDIT: Fixed typos

Thank you for the reply, and information.

That's really unfortunate. Given this, it t seems that there isn't really much of a smooth growth or graceful migration path between the the Netgear AC products, the Nighthawk routers, the Nighthawk AX routers and the Orbi product line.

In particular, it seems that if we want AX backhaul (or other AX features) in a mesh network including Orbi nodes in the future, we would have to start with an AX Orbi product now. The issue with this is that that AX Orbi products are currently still being sold at the rather prohibitive introductory / enthusiast / 'early adopter' prices. Again, really unfortunate for our current needs.

I was hoping for a more integrated product family with a more seamless migration strategy (like at least one other AX mesh product manufacturer). I guess I'll need to reevaluate our plans. Thanks for the information!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7