Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MR60 Slow wifi internet speed on Mac

Gatesway
Aspirant

Nighthawk MR60 Slow wifi internet speed on Mac

When running speed test, at modem I have 100 down, 20 up.  Using the MR60 on WiFi (I'm sitting next to router running V1.0.6.102) it is rare to even get 20 down - usually 15-16.  I've made sure the firmware is up to date.  I've looked in settings.  Nothing helps me to understand the huge drop in speed.

Something else is weird, if I run speedof.me on my Mac, I'll get 15 down & maybe 18 up.  On my iphone, same results.  When I do a speed test on the Nighthawk app on the iPhone, it is 76 down & 20 up.  Then if I use AT&T's app (Smart Home Manager) it shows 100 at the Modem & maybe 26 down/20 up at the device (iPhone or iPad).

Again, all of these tests are done in the LR next to the modem  where the router is plugged in.

I'm using a Mac running BigSur 11.1 - but the same results are found on my iPad or iPhone XR running 14.2).

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR60 Slow wifi internet speed on Mac

what modem/gateway are you using?

Also, are you connected to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 

what speeds do you get hardwired into the MR60?

Message 2 of 11
Gatesway
Aspirant

It is an AT&T modem (UVerse) BGW210-700.

I'm connected to 2.4ghz.  DOn't know how to change to 5ghz.

Have not connected "hard-wired" to the MR60.  Did not think I needed to.

Thanks for any help!

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

@Gatesway wrote:

It is an AT&T modem (UVerse) BGW210-700.---which has its own integrated router and can cause issues with double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

I'm connected to 2.4ghz.  DOn't know how to change to 5ghz.----it should bandsteer to 5ghz as needed. but if its on 2.4ghz, yours speeds will be slow. 2.4ghz is a slow network and sensitive to interference. 

Have not connected "hard-wired" to the MR60.  Did not think I needed to.----You don't need to but for testing, its a good way to ensure the router is getting full speeds. 

Thanks for any help!

Message 4 of 11
Gatesway
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!

First off, I have the WiFi disabled in the AT&T modem/router as it was causing problems. 

Not sure how to change from 2.4 to 5ghz - but I'd love someone to help with that.

Lastly, now the Nighthawk app says there is no WiFi.  There is.  I'm using it right now.  Both satellites are working. The app can't even see the router let alone the satellites.

HELP!!!  

Thanks, 

JG

Message 5 of 11
Gatesway
Aspirant

Good morning.

First off, the AT&T modem says the connection is up and running fine.  I have connectivity with the internet.  The MR60 has a blue light (says it is connected and producing wifi).  I can see the wifi and use it on my Mac.  The NightHawk app says there is no wifi detected.  But, the phone is on wifi and is connected to the web.

THis AM, I shut down the modem & router and did a restart according to the manual.  Started the modem, waited 2 mins.  Then plugged in the router, waited till the light was amber.  Then tried the Nighthawk app to log in.  No wifi detected.  But, the phone is!

So weird.

Lastly, the back bedroom satellite keeps losing its connection.  It is hardwired to the MR60.  Should I take off the hardwiring?  It is about 60' away and has 4 walls of plaster & lath between them.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
Gatesway
Aspirant

Update.

The Nighthawk app would not detect the wifi, but then I but when I clicked on the "Anywhere access" at the bottom of the "Wifi not detected page", it takes me to the router, shows it is online and that the 2 satellites are not connected.

So, I'll work at getting them connected.

Also, under device manager, all devices are connected to 5ghz except my Apple watch and our alarm panel.  

Lastly, I did 3 speed tests:

Nighthawk app:  90 down, 20 up.

speedof.me: 16 down, 10 up.

Smart Home Manager (AT&T app for our modem): Modem: 108 down, 22 up; device (iPhone): 21 down, 18 up.

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

Try this. The shutting the wifi off doesnt disable router mode on the att device.

And some struggle to get passthrough modem working properly. 

try putting the netgear in access point mode. it disables some functions but leaves the att running the routing

Message 8 of 11
Gatesway
Aspirant

Thanks for your help!  

As of right now, all is working.  Holding breath.

Why are wifi speeds so poor at device:

Nighthawk app:  90 down, 20 up. (I would say at router, right?)

speedof.me: 16 down, 10 up. (at my iPhone)

Is is the MR60?  Should I upgrade to the MK63?

Lastly, the ethernet ports in the back of the satellites: Are those for hard wiring to router (for better connection) or hardwiring to a device?

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

try hardwiring a device into the MR60 router and testing its speeds using a browser at speedtest.com

Also, 2.4ghz is much slower than 5ghz. if you're speedtesting over 2.4ghz, you'll get really low numbers. And the MR60 bandsteers meaning it allows devices to move 2.4ghz to 5ghz based on rssi strength/distance/bandwidth. 

so if testing wireless, ensure its on 5ghz. 

Upgrading to the MK63 isn't upgrading, its just adding a satellite. Its the same setup with 2x satellites intead of 1x. 

Hardwiring in the satellites will give the satellites more speed because then its using a wired backhaul instead of a wireless one. 

Message 10 of 11
Gatesway
Aspirant

I did forget to mention that the tests were performed after I got the system (router & 2 satellites) up and running.  Nighthawk app working too.  I noticed my phone and Mac are now running on 5ghz.  That's cool.  So, all the tests were done on 5ghz.

I do have the MR60 with 2 satellites.

No other options for me?  I'll try to hardwire the mac tomorrow to the router and see if the speed changes.

Thanks again!!!!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7