Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk Mesh AX3000 - Peculiar Identification of Computer

RHinCT
Guide

Nighthawk Mesh AX3000 - Peculiar Identification of Computer

Yesterday I installed a new Nighthawk Mesh Wifi 6 system with 2 satellites. It appears to be a Costco-specific packaging, since the box has a tech support phone number for Costco Members. Nothing I can type in the Associated Products window is a match for this device. The box just says Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System and AX3000. On the router label it says Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 Router MR70. When I put AX3000 if offers three choices, all wrong. MR70 gets no matches at all. I'm just picking one of the AX3000 incorrect choices.

The install updated the firmware fine. The WiFi side setup went smoothly. On the Ethernet side the Ethernet output from the Mesh router goes into a switch, which in turn has cables running to three points in the house, each of which has another switch with various things plugged into them. The only issue was on the Ethernet side, where I did not realize I had to reboot everything to make the connections work. Once I did that everything works.

My old router was a Nighthawk, the kind with fold up antennas. That was configured as in BRIDGE mode. That left a lot of the work to the COX-supplied Modem/Router. I expected to set this up the same way. If the option is available I sure can't find it. No big problem, and probably more secure, but I was surprised not to see the option.

I wouldn't have bothered to post anything here, but one interesting point seems worth mentioning. My main computer is a 17" LG notebook running Windows 11. Running the management app on an iPad, I am looking at the Devices Online. When the notebook is connected via WiFi all it says under the computer's name is Computer. When the connection is via Ethernet, the computer moves to the Wired list, with the same name, BUT the description changes from Computer to something else entirely: Apple - MacBook Pro M1 Pro (14") (2021)

Yes, it describes my LG Windows system as a MacBook Pro. At least the year is right! 8-)

As an aside, since I set it up yesterday I learned - no thanks to the documentation - that I can use ethernet backhaul to connect the satellites to the router over my ethernet network.  Good news for performance, but it would have been nice to find it in the docs for the item rather than in a support article.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Mesh AX3000 - Peculiar Identification of Computer

Are you referring to this system? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mk73s.aspx

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation