Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk mesh reboot problems (MR60/MS60)

whp
Guide
Guide

Nighthawk mesh reboot problems (MR60/MS60)

I have a Nighthawk Mesh MR60 and that reboots about every 30 minutes.  What horrible quality.  I see that the same issue is being seen by many other folks.  I had replaced an Orbi system for the same problem.  Also, two Nighthawk R8000 routers - both would stop servicing DHCP requests and then hang another day or so later so that I had to power cycle it to get it back.  All of these sound a lot like Netgear is overclocking the processors so that they quickly fail.  I've noted that both the Orbi and Nighthawk become increasingly problematic so that they need to run at a lower and lower temperatures and at some point start rebooting at room temperature.  I certainly wouldn't recommend Netgear to anybody at this point.  Netgear really needs to work on their quality problems - it's horrible.

This will probably be my last use of Netgear (as was the case for another router company starting with L, then C, then L).  I just purchased another brand since I need HW that can work for more than 90 days.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk mesh reboot problems (MR60/MS60)

I've used over a dozen netgear routers and never had one fail. 

If you're having that many fail and even from other companies, I'd be looking at your setup at the home for the router. 

Message 2 of 9
whp
Guide
Guide

Cheap answer. Your response sounds like a Netgear employee attempting to dodge an issue. I've been in the computer biz for 35 years and have set up many, many networks. If you search Netgear and reboots, you get many reports online – many with the same signature as I’m seeing. So, your answer is not helpful, one bit.

My issue is obviously a continually degrading issue as the resets are happening more and more often. Netgear (and customers) can either take the feedback, or ignore it. But like Volkswagen, customers will eventually move on and never switch back, if the company doesn’t take this serious. By the way, what reputable vendor only gives a 90 day warrantee?

Are there any tools for reducing the frequency of the hardware to keep it up and running.  Otherwise, I'll disassemble it and figure out why the HW is crashing.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe take the system back to place of purchase and get something else. You may have just a faulty system. Been known to happen. Not everyone is having problems with there system like you do. So either it's a HW issue that needs to be replaced, or something else is causing the problems. 

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

@whp wrote:

Cheap answer. Your response sounds like a Netgear employee attempting to dodge an issue. I've been in the computer biz for 35 years and have set up many, many networks. If you search Netgear and reboots, you get many reports online – many with the same signature as I’m seeing. So, your answer is not helpful, one bit.

Not even close to an employee and I've used/use many systems besides netgear. (lucky to find a mod that participates on here)

But for more than 1 device to fail and you even said multiple devices from different manufacturers, tends to indicate it isn't the hardware thats failing, but something in the setup or location. If it was 1 or 2 devices failing, sure go with the a device maker being the issue. But its not. 

So i'd recommend checking out what else is connected to your devices as well as whats connected to them. Wouldn't be the first time a faulty device was leaking power down the ethernet/coax and causing failures. 

Message 5 of 9
whp
Guide
Guide

I would return it, but unfortunately it's past the warrantee.  The system worked fine for about a year and then degraded.

I own 2 of the mesh systems, 2 Orbi systems, and 2 R8000's.  This particular problem has affected one of the Orbi's and one of the Mesh units.  My R8000's had another problem - every month or so, they would hang (web page didn't work and it wouldn't respond to DHCP requests), but the NAT continued to work.  I read that FW was updated on R8000P and the issue was fixed, but of course I had the R8000.  So much for that.  So, of 6 Netgear Wifi systems that I own, I have had problems with 4 of them.  Disappointing...

I guess it's time to move to a different brand.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you running the NH MESH and Orbi systems in same household or building? 

Typically only 1 MESH system is needed. 

Message 7 of 9
whp
Guide
Guide

I had both running at one point, in separate areas, but when Orbi started failing, I was debugging and took down the Nighthawk mesh.  Orbi was rebooting all by itself. I switched to the Nighthawk mesh and sometime later it started failing as well.  Maybe it has something to do with the number of network devices - about 55.  Maybe it can't handle that many?

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So turn OFF the Orbi system and run only the NH MESH system. I would try to turn OFF as many devices as you can, go with a limited number of devices first and see if the NH MESH system stablizes. 

If your run two MESH systems, you need to ensure that both are using far apart channels on 2.4 and 5G radios. I also recommend turning down the power of 1 of the systems from 100% to maybe 25% to help lesson the wifi noise between them. I run two Orbi systems here and thats how I have mine set up. One runs at 25% on power while the other is at 50%. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7