× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Amazon and Ring apps not loading properly on wifi XR500

SideFX
Aspirant

Amazon and Ring apps not loading properly on wifi XR500

I've had this issue with my pixel 4a and now my s21

Randomly the amazon and ring apps would stop loading properly when connected to wifi but work fine on LTE

Suddenly I won't be able to load my orders or can't click on review images or product images. It just keeps on loading

Ring will take a while to load the dashboard or event history

Tried clearing the cache and storage, reinstalling the apps and 2.4 and 5ghz bands, rebooted the router several times

The apps work fine when on lte so I'm thinking it doesn't like something with the wireless connection. I'm using a netgear xr500 router

Rebooting the phone fixes it for a little while before they start acting up again

All other apps are fine and amazon/ring have no issues on a iPhone x that is on the same wifi and all other network devices don't have any kind of connectivity issues

I narrowed it down at this point being the amazon and ring app on an a android operating system not like something on my wireless network
My final test was connecting to the free wifi provided by my isp and the apps worked fine

Not sure what setting on the router for my network setup might be causing this because all other apps and devices work as intended

Any ideas please? I'm at a loss here
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Amazon and Ring apps not loading properly on wifi XR500

Disable the protection options in WAN Settings, it may be they're dropping packets for those devices.
Message 2 of 13
SideFX
Aspirant

I will take a look and report back.

Thank you.

So I only have the following two enabled

Disable IGMP proxy in and Disable SIP ALG under NAT filtering which is set to Secured
MTU is 1500
Message 3 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Set NAT Filtering to Open just in case it is a port issue
Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

@SideFX wrote:

My final test was connecting to the free wifi provided by my isp and the apps worked fine

What ISP device is it that has wifi built in? Tends to indicate its a modem/router combo device and could be causing a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

I've seen certain services have issues with double nats. 

Message 5 of 13
SideFX
Aspirant

My galaxy s21 from xfinity mobile (the only device that has an issue with amazon/ring apps) will connect to xfinity mobile wifi for xfinity customers if it sits on LTE after a while

Interesting enough ring is owned by Amazon and both apps usually act up at the same time then when one starts working so does the other

I tried turning off mobile data on the s21 and using my home wifi networks only but it still caused an issue with the app

I only have a netgear cm1000 modem connected to the xr500 router
Message 6 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try the NAT option and if that fails, disable QoS completely from the 3 line option menu on Congestion Control.
Message 7 of 13
SideFX
Aspirant

I will try the open NAT suggestion later today and see if that helps

QoS is fully off because I have the gigabit plan with xfinity and never had the need for it
Message 8 of 13
SideFX
Aspirant

My mistake I assumed I had QoS off but had it mistaken with anti bufferbloat which was set to never

Well I set the NAT to Open and disabled QoS

Phone behaved worse with speedtest app giving me an error and speeds dropped from 600mbps to 300mbps on wifi. Text messages were slow to send and other apps now took a while to load.

I went ahead and reenabled QoS and testing with the Open NAT
Message 9 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Weird your speeds dropped with QoS disabled, would drop when enabled usually. Keep us posted.
Message 10 of 13
SideFX
Aspirant

Will do, thank you.

I ran a speed test on my wife's iPhone at it dropped from ~500Mbps to around 300Mbps as well with Qos turned off,, but after QoS got re-enabled it went to back to~500Mbps
Stranged indeed
Message 11 of 13
SideFX
Aspirant

Worked fine yesterday and this morning the apps started not loading again

Switched to LTE and they loaded right up

I don't get it
Message 12 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So NAT set to Open was helping at first? You could try the 3.0 beta and making a Traffic Controller rule to allow all traffic to the devices and see if it helps: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/td-p/...
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7