× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DOS protection and 2 step authentican router access?

Rathen88
Aspirant

DOS protection and 2 step authentican router access?

So for the few months I have been having a DOS attack. I solved the problem by going wired connection only but eventually, my router login was hacked. It's a familiar story, the culprit is my neighbours kid. My crime, asking him to stop blasting music when his parents leave on weekends.

My isp recognises the attack but unfortunately wont do anything as I can't confirm the ip on my current setup.

I've been looking at the XR500 and confirmation that 2S Authentication can be enabled for router access will make me a netgear customer. If you have any other router recommendations I'm eager to hear, listen, and learn.

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DOS protection and 2 step authentican router access?

Though most NG routers have DOS prevention features, they don't carry any 2FA features. I haven't seen any home class router carry this feature yet. 

How do you know it's your neighbors kid? 
Trying contacting the parents of the kid? 

Have the ISP change the WAN IP address if your ISP modem. 

Message 2 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above unfortunately, the best thing you can do is employ a complex password consisting of lower & uppercase letters with numbers and symbols to make it as hard as possible to crack while using the best WiFi security option the router provides.
Message 3 of 13
Rathen88
Aspirant

Thank you both for chiming in.

Inititally I didn't know it was a DOS attack. For months the connection would drop and then almost immediately reconnect. My wife and I had to return to the office, my kids couldn't game, the only thing that did work was netflix but that's because they have a gargantuan buffer... Then I came home one day and heard the youngster boasting about how he "Messed up their internet" and why.

I stopped the attack via using LAN only. But after a while say 6 weeks or so I couldn't connect to the new router, it turns out that someone keeps entering my detail and changing settings, particulalrly the track website traffic. ISP wont do anything without hard evidence, police wont do anything without ISP.

So basically I'm in the market for a router with good security and DOS protection. And obviously the ability to go LAN only. I was thinking about the Netgear gaming router range but I'm open to suggestions from anyone willing to help out.

Advice is despertaely needed. If only to get my kids gaming again lol

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you may need to take a look in to a Firewall appliance device to help stop what there doing. Palo Alto and Firewalla come to mind. May need something in between the modem and router to stop them. Also I would look into a VPN service as well. 

ISP can and should look into there side of the fence, they can and do see what is going on on the modem side. You might ask for escalated support. 

Is this the only ISP in your town? Who is the ISP? 

What brand and model is the ISP modem you currently have now? 

I would also change modems. 

Be sure that you use a strong PW on any routers for the management web page and don't give it to any one else. 

Be sure that your children are not sharing the wifi PW to anyone else outside the home. 

Message 5 of 13
Rathen88
Aspirant

Hi Furry
 in this case
Could you elaborate on "Firewall appliance device?" I understand firewall just not in the form of a device. I have a strong VPN. One of the top 3 consistently rated, also wont share traffic with any government, and can also run on routers. This this started I've never used a password below 20 characters long with a mix of every character and symbol available. 

Is there a specific Router you recommend in this case?

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Firewall Appliance device is just like a router, no wireless and has DHCP service and is HEAVY on firewall features. Those Mfrs I mentioned I believe have some consumer options. 

You might ask the VPN mfr on which router brand they support putting there particular software on. 

I don't know of any NG routers that offer 3rd party VPN support install with in the router...

What are you using currently for the ISP modem and a wifi router?

Something to review and consider trying:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Hybrid-VPN-Setup-Guide/m-p/1695383#M76...

Message 7 of 13
Rathen88
Aspirant

I'm using a ISP provided router and have put that router into modem mode in order to use a TP link router. It's not as robust security wise but it is a starting point. I'm in the UK my ISP is located here. Because of what's happening I don't want to go into specific IP details just yet.

I checked the Firewall appliance device. They seem sturdy but extremely pricy. For now I'll try suring up my router security. Do you have any recommendation for NG routers that are robust in regards to security, in particular DOS?

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

No worries, was just wondering what Modem you were using. 

I presume if you tried using the ISP modem in router mode, this would force them to help you with your problem and get some visibility on there side to whats going on. 

Something to review and consider trying:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Hybrid-VPN-Setup-Guide/m-p/1695383#M76...

NG router report DDOS attacks in there logs and we only presume the logs are reporting what the router is actually doing. 

Would be worth trying something other than TP-Link.

Message 9 of 13
Rathen88
Aspirant

Thanks Furry

I've got a lot of routers to look at but I appreciate the assist.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now what you go with and the results. Would love to know if it stops the offending person. 😉

Message 11 of 13
Rathen88
Aspirant

I forgot to mention that it's this link that brought me here which advertises 2SA

https://kb.netgear.com/000064234/How-do-I-set-up-two-factor-authentication-2FA-for-my-NETGEAR-accoun...

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya thats for the NH and Orbi mobile apps being access on mobile devices. 😉

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7