× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

In Game Latency

Tkbuc
Guide

In Game Latency

Hi everyone,

Attached is a screenshot of in game latency details for an online game.  I just factory reset my router and have a 1GB modem via Spectrum.  Everything is working great.  Every once in a while my Latency will shoot up to 800 but then go back down to the 60/70/80 range.  It's doesn't happen consistently or frequently, but I'll notice it every once in a while.  I thought it is because I am using Bitdefender VPN so I turned it off but it still happens occasionally.   Is that normal to happen every so often?  Can anyone tell me what the data in the screenshot is telling me as I'm not that familiar with the readings?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: In Game Latency

Not much to go off here. 

Is this regarding a NG product? If so, need more details here.

Go to https://www.netgear.com/support/
Type in your model number and from there it'll take you to the above.
Its a great resource to start with.

Message 2 of 7
Tkbuc
Guide

Im using the Nighthawk XR1000.  The screenshot is the ingame latency data from the game client.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Are you wired or wireless connected to the router? Wired is preferred for gaming. 

Message 4 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using QoS? If so could you provide a screenshot of the QoS page please? It could be a local congestion issue.
Message 5 of 7
Tkbuc
Guide

1. Firmware Version 1.0.0.64
  2. Wired Connection with CAT 6
  3. Not using QoS
  4. Hitron Modem
  5. Model EN2251
  6. Spectrum is my ISP
Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser