× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear xr1000 Downlad speed slow

Wirus
Tutor

Netgear xr1000 Downlad speed slow

Hi, having an issue with my Netgear xr1000. Recently i,ve updated my internet plan to speed of 330 mb/s download and 42 mb/s upload. Now when i use the benchmark from DumaOS it shows that i have speeds of 42 mb/s download and 9 mb/s upload which is correct. Now the issue is that my download speed do not exceed 4 mb/s when downloading a game for example. I've tried different settings on DumaOS but it's the same. Whwn i connect to my  internet provider modem i get the full speed but trough xr1000 i don't. 

Firmware vers is 1.0.0.64_1.0.49. I am using the 2.4 G for most of my in house devices and 5G for my PC and Phones. My pc is connected  trough Wireless connection and cannot use LAN because atm i don't have a LAN cable that long. The router and PC are in the same room. Thank you

Message 1 of 16
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: Netgear xr1000 Downlad speed slow

You mention that the speeds you get in Connection Benchmark are 42Mbits which is correct, but that doesn't sound correct, you say you've upgraded to 330Mbits? If there's a reason you'd expect the XR to be getting much lower speeds than this can you let us know?

Also, what game client/service are you downloading through? For example, Steam, Battle.net, Origin, etc?

Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

A wired speed test should be performed with the PC to check wired speed results.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 3 of 16
Wirus
Tutor

Well yes. I’ve upgraded to 330 mb/s but the this numbers are give by the internet provider and to get the real speeds those numbers needs to be divided by 8. I am using Battle.net and Ubisoft clients.
Message 4 of 16
Wirus
Tutor

The modem is from BT (UK) smarthub 2 and the cable i’m using between the modem and NG is the one that came inside the router box. I will try doing the steps u mention and come back to let u know if this will work. Thank yo
Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Usually SmartHub modems have WIFI and routers built in. IF this is the case, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Message 6 of 16
Wirus
Tutor

Forgot to mention in my previous messages that i’ve already tried step 3. In AP mode i’m getting half of the dld speed 17 mb/s
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible something at the modem could be causing a slow down from the XR router. I have same router online now and see 900 and 50 on the wire. Thought I don't have same model modem you do. 

I need to do more testing on the wifi with mine. 

Message 8 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you provide a screenshot of your QoS page please? Are all devices connected to the XR or are some still connected to the hub? Have you put the XR in the DMZ of the hub?
Message 9 of 16
Wirus
Tutor

None of the devices are connected to the modem. I will provide a screenshot in the morning. At work atm. Thank you
Message 10 of 16
Wirus
Tutor

Right, so after going trough some testing and steps here are my results:

1. DMZ mode activated ---- same speeds as before 4-7 mb/s

2. Lan Cable to PC ---- 11 mp/s but might be the cable not sure what CAT it is. ordered a new CAT 6 Lan cable.

3. AP mode with fixed ip adress ---- full speed but doesen't this mode defies the purpose of the router (being able to use QoS and all of the other feature)?

4. LAN cable from modem to router CAT 5E

6. Reseting  the modem to factory gave an increase speed up to 17 mb/s for a short period of time

To do: Reseting both the modem and the router (i'll do it over the weekend)

Message 11 of 16
Wirus
Tutor

Looks like the bandwidch is used somewhere inside the router.....or i don't know....but as u can see in the print screen on Network Monitor i do get the full band but for some reason it is being usewd somewere else. or am i wrong?

Message 12 of 16
Wirus
Tutor

QoS print

Message 13 of 16
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Out of interest, if you run a third-party speed test, such as speedtest.net, while connected directly to the BT hub, what do you get? Around 40Mbits still?

Back to the XR, If you completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, what speeds do you get on the Download then?

Message 14 of 16
Wirus
Tutor

Yes, using a third party speed test while connected to the Hub i get close to 40 mb/s and just tried with the QoS completely disabled and i get up to 23 mb/s. So the problem comes from QoS….
Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

In bandwidth allocation, do you have 'Share excess' disabled? If not can you enable it and check the speeds again.

Also might just be worth pressing 'Reset allocation' on Bandwidth Allocation and check again. While it seems simple there's a lot that goes on in the background with Bandwidth Allocation and resetting it clears out a lot of it.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7