× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI 970 series and XR500

drgentz1
Tutor

ORBI 970 series and XR500

Hello, have the Orbi 970 and still want to use the DUMA OS from my XR500. 

Can I use the XR 500 as an extender or additional router on my network. I have tried a couple different thing and get it to show with an IP but still do not get any internet. Can anyone post their opinions whether to just kick out the xr500 or keep and give me some examples on how to make it talk to each other correctly? Little bit on a time crunch here have til Dec 2, to get it all going. Plus if there is anything I left out please let me know, modem changed from cax80 to CM2000

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

You can try to use same SSID name and PW as what you have on the Orbi however may cause problems. 

You'll need to ensure channels used on the XR and Orbi are far appart. 

You might try this, setup the XR as a 2ndary router and turn OFF the wifi radios on the XR router and just connect the wired PCs and any gaming consoles to the router via ethernet connection. Any wifi devices, let the Orbi system handle that. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You can either run the XR500 in router mode and use the RBRs DMZ for the XR500 while in router mode or configure the XR500 router for AP Mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

For the XR500 to work with the RBR while the XR is in AP mode, configure the XR default IP address to 192.168.0.1. The XRs and RBR default is 192.168.1.1 and two routers can't be on same network with same IP address, So just a minor change to the XR default address will fix that. 

Message 2 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above but keep in mind that putting the XR500 in AP mode will prevent you using its features
Message 3 of 5
drgentz1
Tutor

Yes been having issues with that IP figures I forget something always have my PL 100p as 3 the ex7700 as 4 and forget to change the XR...so I see I can't use DumaOS but if I leave it in router mode and just chagr the ip will this work efficiently? Wondering if on the wifi side do I need to change any SSID? Was told I can leave the same and that devices will connect to closest/strongest signals??

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

You can try to use same SSID name and PW as what you have on the Orbi however may cause problems. 

You'll need to ensure channels used on the XR and Orbi are far appart. 

You might try this, setup the XR as a 2ndary router and turn OFF the wifi radios on the XR router and just connect the wired PCs and any gaming consoles to the router via ethernet connection. Any wifi devices, let the Orbi system handle that. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7