× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set up nat OPEN XR 1000 PS5

CCoelho
Aspirant

Set up nat OPEN XR 1000 PS5

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a user guide or video on how to set up nat open with the xr1000 and ps5. I havent been able to figure this out or find an guide. 

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Set up nat OPEN XR 1000 PS5

The best NAT type you can get for any Sony game console is Type 2. Type 1 is the console connected to a modem or ONT unit with out a router built in. Type 2 is modem/ONT unit connected to a external wifi router. OPEN NAT is not a Sony nomenclature. Type 1 and 2 and others are. Open NAT is a Microsoft and Xbox console nonmenclature. 

Message 2 of 12
CCoelho
Aspirant

Thank you. Yes nat 1 connection is what I want to achieve on ps5 with xr1000
Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above, NAT Type 1 and NAT Type 2 are Open. NAT Type 1 is ONLY possible when connecting through a modem. NAT Type 2 is the same as one except when you're connected through a router.

You have an Open NAT.
Message 4 of 12
CCoelho
Aspirant

So as of right now I've got my modem in bridging mode. If I connect it directly to my PS5 I have a naton connection.

Are you saying that there's no way to achieve and not one connection through the router?
Message 5 of 12
CCoelho
Aspirant

The reason I say that is I appreciate that you're saying they are both open. When I have a not to connection. My regular MS is somewhere between 28 to 34. In the same game. When I'm on a net one connection. My Ms is somewhere between 15 to 16. Why is there such a significant difference if they're both open?
Message 6 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

One is doing processing of your packets, the other isn't. However, that big difference indicates you've not fine tuned your QoS/Geo-Filter settings as much as possible. Experiment with that and you'll get a better ping.
Message 7 of 12
CCoelho
Aspirant

Re: Set up nat 1 Connection XR 1000PS5

Ive completely turned off the QOS and im averaging around 26-28 ms vs 16-18 ms with a nat 1 connection. 

As an asside, Ive given my router a static IP, added that IP to the router DMZ and Opened UPNP. Ive also ensured NAt open option is- OPEN on the router. 

Im still with a nat 2 connection. 

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Type 2 is all that you'll ever achive on any wifi router connected to a ISP modem or ONT that has no built in router. Only way to get Type 1 NAT is to connect the PS console directly to the ISP modem or ONT. 

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The ping difference is likely because you only have the one device using the network in that scenario, no other devices using the internet when connected through the router. You'd need to fine tune your QoS settings to address that when using the router. It's not the NAT Type 1 causing it.

As above, you will not get NAT Type 1 connected to a router. It is not physically possible. You can ONLY achieve a NAT Type 1 when directly connected to a modem/ONT.
Message 10 of 12
CCoelho
Aspirant

Is it still the case even if I put the modem in bridge mode and connect to the router?
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements