× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR 700

Smallfoot
Aspirant

XR 700

I've had my nighthawk pro gaming xr700 router for about 5 months and ever since I got it and replaced my X10 router I have had nothing but lag during gameplay lag is so bad it's unbearable. Been experiencing packet loss and latency while playing Apex legends call of duty or any other online game set my router up with optimal settings for Apex legends still lagging shut off qos cuz I have 1Gig speeds and should not have any lag if I use my Xfinity gateway I experienced no lag I need help or I'm just going to trash this router tried disabling qos upgraded to beta firmware still problems persist
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR 700

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here? If so, this would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

@Smallfoot wrote:
I've had my nighthawk pro gaming xr700 router for about 5 months and ever since I got it and replaced my X10 router I have had nothing but lag during gameplay lag is so bad it's unbearable. Been experiencing packet loss and latency while playing Apex legends call of duty or any other online game set my router up with optimal settings for Apex legends still lagging shut off qos cuz I have 1Gig speeds and should not have any lag if I use my Xfinity gateway I experienced no lag I need help or I'm just going to trash this router tried disabling qos upgraded to beta firmware still problems persist

Message 2 of 12
Smallfoot
Aspirant

The gateway is already set up in bridge mode so it is acting only as a modem I used to have a Netgear gateway had it set up in bridge mode also but it wasn't able to support my 1gig speeds. Don't know the exact model number of the gateway from Xfinity it is the new Xfi gateway and I had Xfinity set it up in bridge mode so I could use my router. So I do not have two Nat prolbems. I had bought the x10 router and it was working great but it was already a few years old so I figured I would upgrade to the nighthawk xr700 and ever since I have got this router I have been experiencing lag.
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, making sure about your modem configuration. 

Are you getting wired speed test near 900Mbps? When I had this router, it was not getting anything near 900Mbps on the WAN to LAN tests...

Message 4 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the actual ping to the game you're getting as shown by the Geo-Filter?
Message 5 of 12
Smallfoot
Aspirant

When I test from the router I am getting around 900mbps down and 45mps up.I know it's not the Xfinity gateway because when I had the x10 router it worked just fine but I cannot find the model number on the gateway. I am 100% sure that the problem is the Netgear xr700 router.
Message 6 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We'll find out the cause, could you let us know the average ping to the game you're getting as shown by the Geo-Filter please?
Message 7 of 12
Smallfoot
Aspirant

Ping is 25-30
Message 8 of 12
Smallfoot
Aspirant

Also when I use geo filter and am in a party it takes a long time to find a match
Message 9 of 12
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Often the reason it takes a long time to find a match is because there aren't enough servers in your selected radius, so it has to wait until one has spaces. The problem is exacerbated by being in a party, because it has to find a server with even more spaces. Solo players usually end up taking priority.

Message 10 of 12
Smallfoot
Aspirant

Write the thing is I had the x10 router and it works perfectly I bought this router expecting the same and it is not producing the results I want. The router is supposed to stop lag and it is causing it. And for a router that cost it almost $600 I am very disappointed
Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The X10 is completely different. The Geo-Filter by nature is restricting the amount of possible games you have access to in order to get you a good connection so in some cases this can increase search times. You can decrease this by increasing the Geo-Filter radius. 25-30 ping is fantastic so it sounds like the router is doing its job. Could you provide a small video of the lag you're experiencing?
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7