× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 5ghz wifi speeds capped 300mbps? even though i had 1gig up/down now

twitchie1
Tutor

XR1000 5ghz wifi speeds capped 300mbps? even though i had 1gig up/down now

Hi i recently upgraded from 300mbps up/down to 1gig up/down and my ethernet is hitting 900+ up/down but my wifi 5ghz connection on my phone will only top out around 300-325mbps which is what it use to do when i had 300mbps Up/Down speeds its like my router still believes i had 300 meg but my wired connection is running fine... iv reset router and disabled QoS  and it doesnt change anything for wifi speeds still just 300ish, but my wired connection is fine, Im very annoyed with the operating system in the router DUMAS is slow and crowded.

Any ideas thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR1000 5ghz wifi speeds capped 300mbps? even though i had 1gig up/down now

That's correct, that puts the speed it's getting at about 660Mbps instead of what the speedtest is reporting. If speedtest was correct than you would only be able to download at ~33MB/s so I think you can ignore the speedtest results

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
twitchie1
Tutor

Untitled.png

Im about 15 feet from the router with my PC theres a wall but the door is open almost direct LOS the router is clear and open not blocked by anything

Message 2 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your phone model? It's quite possible that's the maximum it can achieve.

What do you mean DumaOS is slow and crowded exactly?

Try these suggestions:
Disable Smart Connect, give 2.4/5GHz different names and apply - you'll want to connect to 5GHz specifically for speeds
Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that
Ensure it's in an elevated position - not on a metal surface
Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proxity ~3 feet if possible
Set the antennae to this position _ | | _
Message 3 of 8
twitchie1
Tutor

The screen shots from my test was done on my PC wired then switched to WIFI 5ghz have 2.4Ghz disabled, realized that it could be my phone so i eliminated that variable...

Did the antennas _| |_

Ran a Wifi analyzer best channel was 44 it is on channel 44

Phone is  a Samsung s21

router is on a wooden counter free and clear from wires metal or electrical

Smart connect is disabled

Have tried disabling QoS also

Have done 3 resets and new setups

The slow Dumas i feel like its very slow clicking on things and waiting it feels dull and slow like its over crowded i guess

Also thank you for your help thus far

Message 4 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How did you disable QoS exactly - by selecting Never or disabling it fully from the Congestion Control menu? What firmware version are you on currently? What browser/device are you using to access the interface?
Message 5 of 8
twitchie1
Tutor

I disabled it by doing both the congestion menu and selecting Never

Firmware XR1000 1.0.0.64_1.0.49

Browser is Firefox latest version its on my PC windows 10

Message 6 of 8
twitchie1
Tutor

Is it possible the Wifi Speed tests just are not reliable? i was able to download at 79 MB\s wireless thats over 600 mbps?

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's correct, that puts the speed it's getting at about 660Mbps instead of what the speedtest is reporting. If speedtest was correct than you would only be able to download at ~33MB/s so I think you can ignore the speedtest results
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7