× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 Adblock Issues

AvgExile
Aspirant

XR1000 Adblock Issues

Hi Everyone, 

I have been trying to get the Adblocker working on my XR1000 today and to no avail. 

I've read Netgear KB on using the link to the default list but this doesn't block any ads on any of my devices. 

I have tried using other lists I could find as well which also didn't work, which makes me think the feature might not be working properly. 

I would love to use Adblock at my router level but at this moment doesn't seem to be working. 

Thanks,

Brad. 

Message 1 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR1000 Adblock Issues

Could you provide a screenshot of your Adblocker page please so we can take a look? Are you using Armor?
Message 2 of 9
AvgExile
Aspirant

Hi, 

Please see screenshot below, 

I've been testing and it looks like it does block traffic, but for some reason I'm still seeing all the ads. 

Thanks! 

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you provide some examples of places where you're noticing the ads? Are you using Armor?
Message 4 of 9
AvgExile
Aspirant

Hi,

I am noticing these ads on pages such as Facebook, YouTube ads before and during videos.

Also alot of webpage popups etc that were blocked before by my browser extension now pop-up when using the DumaOS defaults.

I'm not using Armor.
Message 5 of 9
AvgExile
Aspirant

Hi, 

Just to confirm,

I see these ads, and then when for example I click on them and it redirects like it should so the page doesn't load.

So the AdBlock itself actually works with redirecting when you click on the ad, it just unfortunately still shows the ad. 

Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

YouTube Ads won't be blocked as they're served from the same URL I believe as the video so if you blocked them you'd also block the video. The latter is normal, when you search in Google you'll see the ads but they're also legitimate search results so that's why they show but then the link behind it is blocked.

When you upgraded to the latest firmware did you do a factory reset afterwards?
Message 7 of 9
AvgExile
Aspirant

Hi, 

By the very nature of my other Adblocks I've had, these do stop the YouTube video ads as stated. 

I would expect any adblocker provided it blocks the correct AD Domain to block these as well. 

Seems as though there must be something in a list that I could add. Any Suggestions? Would really like to use this network wide for the family rather than have to install apps on phones and blockers on the PCs instead. 

I have done a factory reset afterwards as well. 

Thanks. 

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Those will have been browser based Adblockers which would have been able to block more easily, when it's based on the network it is harder - it's very much something we're still working on and really want to find a workaround for. That's what I mean, the ad is served from the same domain as the video.

When you used other lists like easylist did you add it in the same way, as an online list? Also try downloading our file and then uploading it to the router and adding it that way
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7