× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 shows pc(s) always offline ?

charleyshf
Tutor

XR1000 shows pc(s) always offline ?

Hello!

So I have the most recent firmware on my XR1000, I did a factory reset after the recent firmware update. The problem I have been having lately is that I have my pc which is set to a static ip address via the XR1000, let's say 192.168.1.3 and for some reason the XR1000 will show it offline when in fact it is on and connected until I reboot the XR1000? This happens with other devices on my network as well. I use the XR1000 as a dhcp server and it covers from .51 and up, anything below that I have reserved IE my pc.

My pc is directly plugged into the XR1000, is there something I am missing here?

I'd appreciate any help/ideas

Message 1 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR1000 shows pc(s) always offline ?

The switch between online/offline can be very quick so if no traffic is detected it will switch offline. Is it staying offline if you do a speed test for example so it can definitely detect traffic? Do you by any chance turn off your devices and leave them in a standby/instant on mode?
Message 2 of 18
charleyshf
Tutor

I shutoff my pc when i'm done for the day. Next morning pc is started up and running, but the router does not show it as online. I can run speedtest multiple times, download large files, it does not show up at all.

Message 3 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The other devices you’re using are they in standby? Do you use Wake On LAN for the PC? Double check the other devices on the Device Manager do any of them have the IP that the PC itself says it has?
Message 4 of 18
charleyshf
Tutor

None of my equipment uses wake on lan or standby mode. I did double check to make sure that the ip is not used anywhere else.I also tried a different IP address just in case, and the same thing happens which is really odd.

Is there something else that would block my pc from being included in the network monitor?

Message 5 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you remove the static IP please and then see if it appears online without the reboot?
Message 6 of 18
charleyshf
Tutor

I deleted the static ip, did not reboot and now I can see my pc in the network monitor?

Message 7 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so it is detecting traffic properly now, is it still not showing in the Device Manager even with traffic from a speedtest etc?
Message 8 of 18
charleyshf
Tutor

It works fine if I do not use a static apparently, is there a fix for this as I do require a static ip?

Message 9 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay sounds like there was a potential conflict, reboot the PC, then check on the PC what IP it is getting, then set that as static in LAN Settings on the router so it retains the IP it already has, then see if it works.
Message 10 of 18
charleyshf
Tutor

Okay, so I rebooted the pc, it was given the same ip address (192.168.1.58) ad it was given before I rebooted. Also it shows up as "unnamed device" in the router. I changed the router settings so that that ip became static for this pc. I can no longer see it as online even if I download large files, or even multiple speed tests.

At the end of the day the  issue is I need a specific IP address for this pc, and I haven't run into this problem before now, is there a fix for this?

Message 11 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've not seen this issue happen before so likely a new one introduced with this update so I'll have to pass it onto the team to reproduce and investigate. In the meantime it may be best to downgrade the firmware so that it works as expected while we work on a fix.
Message 12 of 18
charleyshf
Tutor

I have an idea, what if I delete the static ip on the router and just put the manual ip on the pc, maybe worth trying?

I really do not want to go back to the older firmware as the backups never worked with this router...

Message 13 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes you could absolutely do that if you wish to, given you mentioned other devices experience the same issue I thought it may be easier to downgrade instead but yes you could do so on each affected device and it should work just fine - assuming the issue is with the reserving of IPs on the router itself
Message 14 of 18
charleyshf
Tutor

I did try to assign the ip to the pc directly and deleted it from the router, no luck... If I downgrade I remember there was a setting I had to change in order for the router to run better, the web interface would usually timeout and I think I set something to I think 5? Anyways where can I find the older firmware?

Thank You for your help

Message 15 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for trying, we will investigate what the cause may be, the previous version is here: https://kb.netgear.com/000063915/XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-58

Ah for that go to the System Information page and then in the Rapp panel menu ≡ change the retries to 5
Message 16 of 18
charleyshf
Tutor

Thank You, I have been on the older firmware since our last message, and the only thing I noticed was just after a week of working the router started getting really slow, meaning when I would log into it to do anything it would give me timeout messages, eventually it would load, but I ended having to reboot to resolve the issue.

Message 17 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Glad to hear you're having a better experience now, thanks for the update, keep an eye out for new firmware, you can check the progress here: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000132677-dumaos-firmware-progress
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7