× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 DEVICE NOT FOUND

Mike40
Apprentice

Re: XR500 DEVICE NOT FOUND

Sorry I misunderstood what you said yesterday.  I will try to move the slider down after work and see how that goes.  I blocked the "extra" server and it seemed like it did a little better.  I will respond again after work when I try the slider thing.

Message 26 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

I did 1% down so it gave me 4mbps and I did 1% up and it gave me .4mbps.  I tried with always, auto-enable and never.  I also tried doing my upload  at .8, 1.2, 1.6, 2.0 Mbps but I still have the lag though.  All it really did was take longer for me to load into the game itself.

Message 27 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you play while directly connected to the modem instead what is your experience like?
Message 28 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

I haven't tried that since getting the modem and router.  When I had Comcast's modem it would ping all over the place and the game was unplayable so I just played zombies solo.  That is the reason I bought the router and the CM700 modem.  I can try it tonight and see what happens.

I have the CM700 modem but I can't get my download speed past 500 but my upload is fine (around 40-45).  I pay for 1G down and 35 up. Comcast says the signal is fine blah, blah, blah and to contact you guys.  Do I need to get a better modem now that I just upgraded to gig internet?

Message 29 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well I'd check directly from the modem, if you have the same game and speed issues then it's definitely something on their end and not something we can resolve
Message 30 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

I will check that out tonight and let you know how that goes.

Thanks again for all your help.

Message 31 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

I tried hooking the PS5 up directly to the modem and it lagged like crazy.

I'm getting the same speed though regardless if I go direct from the modem or through the router.

Comcast is saying the speed is "your" fault since I use a XR500 router and the CM700 modem and you are saying it's their fault 😞

Message 32 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If the router is completely disconnected from the modem and you're still not getting speeds through the modem then it couldn't possibly be the router as it's not even connected. I would go back to them and say I took your advice and got rid of the router but directly connected to the modem I'm still having the same issues and not getting speed. If they send a tech to the house hide the XR and don't mention it at all so they can focus on the issue at hand.
Message 33 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

The modem is a Netgear product also so they just keep blaming it on "your" products.

I had Comcast send me their modem/router combo but without the XR500 I was lagging, and rubberbanding.  If I don't have the router my game is unplayable.  I'm about a second off right now but as long as I don't have to get in a gun fight the game is still playable.  I have upgraded/downgraded firmware, change settings and nothing stops the lag.  It is better then not having the router at all but for $300 it shouldn't have any.

I didn't try their modem with your router because the whole reason I bought "your" products is so that I can stop paying rental fees every month and be able to play COD without rubberbanding like crazy.

Comcast has a brick and mortar store by me, so I'm going to go there later today and see if they have any suggestions.

Message 34 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If the inherent connection is unstable that isn't something any router will help with, that needs to be resolved first and then you'll see greater benefit when using the R2. I think you should get the modem/router from them again, confirm you're having the same issues and that is when they are likely to do something about it.
Message 35 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

Using speedtest.net and the generic internet speed test that pops up with a simple Google search shows around 500-600 down but when I do a speed test through Comcast I get around 900 down.  It is the same if I have my computer connected directly through the modem or through the XR500.  If I run auto-detect in Congestion control or Connection Benchmark it is the same thing and I get around 500-600 down.  I get 40 up consistently no matter how I test the speed which is what I should be getting.  I have attached the Connection Benchmark.  Should I just manually change my download to what I'm getting from Comcast's site?

Message 36 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Don't worry about benchmark, we're still improving those results. The reason the speeds are higher via their speedtest is because it's basically the first hop from you, it hasn't hit the open internet at that point. I would go with the 500-600 value as that's actually the speeds you're getting.
Message 37 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

Two questions:

So should I have a tech come out from Comcast since I'm not getting what I'm paying for?  I have gig internet but I'm only getting 500-600 through the router/modem. 

I have a CM1200 modem and the XR500 router.  They are both able to handle that speed correct?

Message 38 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't think you need a tech to come out (although that may be what they suggest), they'll likely do the speedtest from the modem to their own test and nothing will appear as a problem. I believe the issue is outside your control. The modem would get the closest to 1Gig, any router will knock a bit off due to the routing but even then you should get around 950 Mbps out of it so yes they're both perfectly capable.
Message 39 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm new to this whole router having a way different speed than I pay for.

If I put my download speed at say 600 in Congestion Control but I pay for gig does that mean I will never get the full gig internet?

Message 40 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You would get about 950Mbps maximum, that is about the same as you would get using any router.
Message 41 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

So does it matter if I set the Congestion Control to 600 or 1 gig for download speed?

I just want to make sure that I'm getting the fastest speed possible especially my computer since I use it for work.

Message 42 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Speeds are only really needed for high bandwidth applications/services so you'd be good regardless for work. Until the issue gets worked out I'd set it to 600 as that is what you're actually getting
Message 43 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

Thanks for your assistance.

Should I change any other settings on the router for better in game performance other than assigning an IP address to the PS5 and prioritizing the PS5 in Traffic Prioritization?  I know I read something about assigning the PS5's IP address to default DMZ server and a few other things.  Thought I would ask you since you are the expert.

Message 44 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you have an Open NAT already then no need to use the DMZ. If you're not using the Geo-Filter I would suggest doing so in order to force the lowest ping servers. Congestion Control usually recommend a starting point of 70% for download & upload.
Message 45 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

I use open nat and use the Geo-Filter.  I have a box around the northern part of Illinois since that is where I am from and that is were a dedicated server is.

I have them both set to 70%.  I know somewhere I read to fine tune them until you get the best results but do I have to reset the modem everytime I do that or just re-establish my connection with COD?

Message 46 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No you don't need to do that, it applies automatically
Message 47 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

I have been testing it and it is now damn near unplayable.  There is a minimum of a second delay when doing anything.  I'm not sure if you play COD but the map Shipment IS unplayable because I''m dead before I even see a person.  Unless I'm shooting somebody in the back or from the side the game is unplayable since the other player sees me before I even see them.

I have tried from 40% - 95% in increments of 5 for both and also tried using always and auto-enable with the same results.  From 70% - 90% I was backing out of COD then going back into it so that I could establish a new connection.  I didn't do that from 40% - 65% because I saw your message stating that is automatic.

Message 48 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It may benefit you to go below 40%, as your connection is unstable anyway it might need to be throttled a lot to try and balance it out.
Message 49 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

My connection is stable I'm just not getting the speeds I'm paying for.

I have tried now from 1% -  95% on both with always and auto-enable and I have tired a few combos like higher percentage up than down and nothing is working.  It's almost as bad as not even using the router and going straight through your modem or Comcast's router/modem combo.

The only thing the sliders are doing is lowering the up/down from speedtest.net but it's not improving the lag at all.

Message 50 of 65
Discussion stats
  • 64 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7