× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Firmware Update

JoonDerg
Tutor

XR500 Firmware Update

Having an issue with firmware.

I go to System Information. It says Firmware Version V2.1.0.6.

I go to Settings -> Administration -> Firmware Update -> Check

I get: No new firmware version available. This screen will automatically return to the previous screen in a few seconds...

I go here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx

It says: Top Support Articles -> XR500 Firmware Version 2.2.0.4

This firmware seems newer than the one I have insatlled V2.1.0.6.

I download V2.1.0.6 from here: https://kb.netgear.com/000055157/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-2-0-4

I go to Settings -> Administration -> Firmware Update -> Browse -> XR500-V2.2.0.4 -> XR500-V2.2.0.4.img -> Upload

It says that V2.2.0.4 is older than V2.1.0.6 are you sure? And I clicked cancel. Is this right? Or should I try again. I don't want to mess anything up.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Lexist2112
Luminary

Re: XR500 Firmware Update

Might I suggest to the OP. to use FF and be sure to clear web browser cache prior to updating router FW.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know about this. For now, don’t upgrade until we’ve checked this out with Netgear.
Message 2 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Joon, I couldn't reproduce this myself. Would you be able to try again and provide a screenshot of the message it gives you please so we can alert Netgear?
Message 3 of 9
Lexist2112
Luminary

Just updated from 2.1.0.6 to 2.2.0.4. Did  no t have a message like the OP's. Upgrade went smoothly as it has in the past.

I used Firefox web browser, downloaded the new FW to the desktop and access router and installed it thru the routers admin. tab.

Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks Lexist, looks to be an isolated issue then if neither of us had that. Glad to hear upgrade went smoothly as well!
Message 5 of 9
Lexist2112
Luminary

Might I suggest to the OP. to use FF and be sure to clear web browser cache prior to updating router FW.

Message 6 of 9
JoonDerg
Tutor

OK, I was able to upgrade in Firefox. I had previously used Chrome.

In Firefox the Check for firmware update did not work again, but I got the firmware file and uploaded it and it didn't give the error message again and it updated it and restarted it. So I am on that latest firmware now. Thanks!

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear you were able to update successfully! Let us know if you see that again when upgrading to the next firmware release.
Message 8 of 9
JoonDerg
Tutor

OK, I will. Thank you!

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements