× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 no effect on PS4 PRO ping 61ms average

Levi2008
Aspirant

XR500 no effect on PS4 PRO ping 61ms average

I recently got the XR500 router for the geo filter and the ability to decrease latency. Before this router I had the orbi ac2200 system there my ping was 58 avg. With the XR500 my ping sometimes gets better to about 44 but most of the time it’s 61ms. I have it hardwired to the router. I have geo filtering profile setup. I have MTU to 1468 per Netgear support suggestion. Is there any way possible I can get it down to low 30s or possibly 20’s?

My brother has the XR700 and he gets 14-17 consistently. Should I go for that?

I have Soectrum 400/20 but I actually get 484/27. Modem has 32downstream and 4 upstream.

Thanks for the help ahead of them 🙂
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 no effect on PS4 PRO ping 61ms average

What is your physical setup e.g. modem > XR > wired to console. The in game ping includes things like processing delay which all games have so this can vary wildly and there is nothing you can do to affect it. What is the ping you get shown by the Geo-Filter? This will show a direct ping to the server and that is what you can work with in an attempt to lower it.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How were you measuring your ping to the game before and how have you been measuring it when you got the router? MTU won't help with ping but could actually make it worse if it is incorrect, I'd leave it at the default. First thing we need to figure out in order to see what the lowest possible ping you can get is - do a speedtest.net test direct from your modem when nothing else is using the internet, what does the ping say?
Message 2 of 12
Levi2008
Aspirant

Speedtest from modem directly to MacBook Air is 9ms ping.

In the game game it shows live ping value. I can post a picture if you’d like.
Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your physical setup e.g. modem > XR > wired to console. The in game ping includes things like processing delay which all games have so this can vary wildly and there is nothing you can do to affect it. What is the ping you get shown by the Geo-Filter? This will show a direct ping to the server and that is what you can work with in an attempt to lower it.
Message 4 of 12
Levi2008
Aspirant

Ping on Geo is 64ms for this current match (typical).

I have modem to XR500 to PS4pro
Message 5 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Where are you located roughly and where is the server you're connecting to? Could you post a screenshot of your entire Geo-Filter page please showing what it looks like when you're in a game. Are you using QoS at all?
Message 6 of 12
Levi2008
Aspirant

I’m in Dallas area and isp server is 15 miles away. While the game server changes constantly. Right now the game server is in Indiana. Yes, support team configured my Qos. 

Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you pinging the one with the dashed circle as whatever you have pinged is actually an authentication server required for online play and so isn't your game ping/doesn't affect your game ping. What is your ping to the other icon? Turn on Auto Ping and it should correctly ping the host of your game.

Message 8 of 12
Levi2008
Aspirant

I turned on auto ping. I got mixed results, See attached photos. If i take this router back and get the R700 - will that make a difference? 

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you provide the ID shown on auto ping for that server please and I'll check to see whether it is the correct server you should be connecting to. That router doesn't have the Geo-Filter and so will connect you to servers wherever the game wants so your ping may increase in that case.
Message 10 of 12
Levi2008
Aspirant

Hey! I just wanted to update you that after turning off my WiFi and using the XR500 as a router while using the Orbi system as the access point for the rest of my devices my ping has been solved. I already had the orbi system so i put it to use and my ping is 20-35 avg now!

Question is XR500 future proof? Like will I have to replace it next year because of WiFi 6 technology or will it be supported for the foreseeable future?
Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's great to hear, thanks for posting with an update. We will be supporting the router for the foreseeable future, whether you want to upgrade to WiFi 6 is up to you and depends if you'll have any devices that can take advantage of the technology.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7