× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR700: not getting isp speeds on wifi

ShadowMelt
Apprentice

XR700: not getting isp speeds on wifi

Hello, I'm having issues with wifi speeds on the router. My isp upgraded my modem to an gb modem. After the change I tested it out with the tech. I was getting the speeds wired but wireless im getting 450 max. When I'm supposed to get at least 950mbps. I factory reset the router and it detected my new speeds but still wifi is only getting 450 max. Here what have done so far to fix the problem.

Disabled smart connect
Changed 5ghz channels also used wifi analyzer app to find best one.
Turned QoS off and on
Factory reset

Is there anything I can do?

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR700: not getting isp speeds on wifi

What devices are you testing the wireless on? Are they capable of higher than 450Mbps? Have you got faster than that on the WiFi before?
Message 2 of 13
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

I have been looking to see if the devices I been testing on are able to but can't find specs been using Note 20 ultra which on 5g WB I can get 1.2gps. The laptops and other stuff I'm not sure. Xbox and ps4 are only able to download around 100mb
Message 3 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In Advanced WiFi settings enable MU-MIMO, Beam forming and HT160 and see if that improves speeds on the Note.
Message 4 of 13
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Its improved very very slightly but gets to speed differently before it would start off at 400 to 450 but but now with these settings turned on it starts at 100 and works to 500 to 550. Is there anything I can do to get my speeds?
Message 5 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So you're getting your speeds its just not getting there as fast? I don't think there is anything you could change that would affect that other that selecting a different speedtest server.
Message 6 of 13
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

I have been doing multiple speed test, wired connection varies from 850 to 950 even the modem speed test reads it at 922. Wifi i just can't get 5ghz to stay even above 500 most of the time.
Message 7 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have many electrical devices in close proximity to the router? Is there another WiFi you're broadcasting? Are ALL devices connected to the XR?
Message 8 of 13
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Yes I moved stuff around at first close to the monitor of the computer but now it further away. Attached is wifi channels and I'm the red hoping it's not others wifi ruining my experience
Message 9 of 13
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK, did you see any difference in the results after that?

Are all devices connected to the XR?

Message 10 of 13
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Not really, I'm using 4 different speed test and it seems to be lower or capping around 450. Which 400 used to be my max speed from isp and always got 450. This time after upgrade I'm still at 450 but wired is 1gig. This is all for 5ghz connection btw
Message 11 of 13
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Here is a screenshot of all the times I tested from one of the apps which seems faster then all the other speed test but non of the apps go beyond 450. Also using xbox and ps5 speed test and they go 100 to 200. Even charter came to my house checked everything and it's all okay on their end. I been so much messing with every setting on this router and so many factory resets.
Message 12 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you change your 5GHz channel to 161 please and see if you notice a difference?
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7