× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 help

catalano
Tutor

Xr500 help

Hello,
i have put my Rogers cable modem/router combo (CGM4140COM) (Technicolor) in bridge mode and i have connected my xr500. I have been noticing that with my xr500 i am getting higher pings. I have read that i will need to get my old router MAC and change my xr500 MAC to my old router MAC. i have went into my rogers network settings and noticed 3 types of MAC. WAN MAC / eMTA MAC / CM MAC. i am not sure which MAC would be my old router MAC. my modem from my ISP is a modem/router combo (CABLE). How would i find out my old router MAC on my modem/router combo and would i have to take my modem/router combo out of bridge mode and unhook my xr500 to find out my old router MAC?

Also my xb6 modem/router from my isp does my home phone, tv and internet all in one. My bridge mode is enabled while connected to my xr500.

Thank you
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Xr500 help

Have you just purchased the XR500? If not then the MAC address suggestion you've mentioned won't make a difference. Take the XB6 out of bridge mode and instead put the XR500 WAN IP (found in System Information) into the DMZ on the XB6 and that should perform better. If possible disable the WiFi on the XB6 also so the XR can control all devices properly, otherwise it won't be able to eliminate local congestion effectively.
Message 2 of 5
catalano
Tutor

Yes I have just purchased the xr500 3 days ago. Okay so I should do what you have said then and don’t configure my XB6 on bridge mode. I will try that out and get back to you shorty. Thank you!
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes please do that and if that doesn't help we can go with the MAC method to see if it helps.
Message 4 of 5
catalano
Tutor

so the issue seems to be with my ISP causing higher then normal pings. i posted on the forums of my ISP and others have been getting the same issue. I only connected my computer to my ISP modem/router combo (not in bridge mode) and i am getting the same ping as when i connect my XR500. so i put my ISP modem/router combo back into bridge mode and connected my XR500. with the XR500 i can reduce the bufferbloat and get A on bufferbloat. With only my ISP (XB6) modem/router i get huge bufferbloat on my upload 1000+ MS the bar just stays red on DSLreports. so for now ill keep it like this, i cant do much if it has to do with my ISP. other option would be to switch to DSL with a different provider but they only offer 5Mbps download and 680Kpbs upload im not sure if that would be worth to get. ATM i have cable but always an issue for gaming, i get 1000download and 30 upload but it always spikes and bufferbloats.  

Thank you for the help !

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7