× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 setup to opt

flekballs21
Aspirant

Xr500 setup to opt

Hi I’m trying to set up my nighthawk xr500,
I wanted to know if I can set it up and how directly running from the OPT. I have NZ fibre100 and I seem to only be able to run it from OPT to modem to xr500 router. I am currently unable to play rainbow6 on ps4 while someone is watching Netflix just constant rubber banding.
Any help would be great thanks
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Xr500 setup to opt

Are you able to connect the ONT via ethernet to the XR500? You may have to get an adapter to do this. Also you may be required to enter PPPoE or VLAN settings on the router before you can directly connect the two and receive internet. Regarding the lag I would recommend you follow our optimal settings guides, particularly the QoS guide in order to resolve this: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646
Message 2 of 8
flekballs21
Aspirant

So I’ve just moved address so will be trying to set up and sort this coming week. I’ll receive my internet providers modem tomorrow. There is an Ethernet port on the ONT that says internet and I can plug this in directly to the XR500’s internet port via Ethernet cable.
In regards to VLAN and PPPoE, I don’t actually know how to set this up. Will I need my Internet providers modem before I can set this up and where do I start?
Message 3 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I imagine you will need your internet provider's modem before you can do anything, especially if you're moving to a different provider.

They'll also need to set up the connection from their end. But in theory you just connect the ethernet port on the modem to the yellow WAN port on the back of the XR500 and perhaps do a factory reset to get it started.

Message 4 of 8
flekballs21
Aspirant

So I’ve done a bit of information research. It’s actually quite frustrating at how limited information Netgear supplies to set up the XR500, I’ve had information that has said the it’s designed to run directly from an ONT without needing a Modem. I’ve tried setting this up but got no where even with my ISP giving me a link to configure a modem/router that isn’t provided by them. I’ve also had information saying that the XR500 needs a modem to run (so purchasing something else) none of this information has been obtained from Netgear thus far

Coming to a realisation that I probably can’t run the router directly from the ONT or at least if you can I won’t be able to achieve as there isn’t enough information for people that wouldn’t even know where to start to set up there internet.

Another issue I’ve come across is there is no recommendation for what modem would be good to pair with the XR500 for a fibre+ set up

My ISP has provided an ASUS modem/router which does all right but would rather set up the XR500 since I’ve spent the money for it.

Any help would be appreciated and excuse me if I come off a touch rude I’m just quite frustrated with this whole set up process.
Message 5 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

If you can't get the XR500 working when connected directly to the ONT, you could run it underneath the ISP router. As long as you connected everything to the XR500 rather than straight to the ISP router, QoS would work properly.

You'd need to either put the ISP router into bridge mode or reserve the XR500's IP and put it into the ISP router's DMZ.

Message 6 of 8
flekballs21
Aspirant

So it is possible to run it directly through the ONT? And if so can I please have the information to do this?
I feel as though I’m asking a lot of question but not getting a lot of answers...
Would it be better to buy a cable modem to pair with it rather then run it from the ISP router? And could a cable modem be recommended if that is the case.

I also don’t know how to run the router through bridge mode or where to start.

Thanks
Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're saying that the ONT has an ethernet port then it is possible, if you don't get a connection immediately when connecting them together I would first suggest going through the setup wizard from Settings again. It may then be able to establish a connection, if so there is nothing further needed there. It may however inform you that you need a login to make this work, if so then you need to ask your ISP what this is.

If it just isn't possible then It's not necessary to buy any further hardware you can simply do what Alex suggested above to connect your XR to the ISP router and have an optimum connection. Then by following the QoS guide you can resolve those lag issues.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7