× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

hybrid vpn xr500 , connection problems / high ping

Marv-K
Guide

hybrid vpn xr500 , connection problems / high ping

Hello, I have had problems with my Hybrid VPN for almost 2 weeks. I use OpenVPN (nolag vpn). I play on console (ps4). For several days I have had the problem that my ping is so high when I activate the VPN (e.g. location New Zealand). Before I had a ping of around 50-80, you could still play well, but now ping between 300-800s . What can that be? Internet speed has not changed. A fortnight ago everything worked with the same settings. What could be the problem? All locations have increased their ping by at least 4 times. Absolutely unplayable. But why? PLEASE HELP!
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: hybrid vpn xr500 , connection problems / high ping

OK, but this is only happening when going through the VPN? If you disable the VPN, your ping is normal? 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I believe they say that VPN only works for PC. Also using a VPN the ping will be much higher and depending on where you're from 300ms could be expected. I suggest you contact their support as it won't be the router necessarily causing that
Message 2 of 6
Marv-K
Guide

I know no lag vpn is only compatible with pc, but you can also use the vpn on the modem via open vpn. It was a few days ago, the problem with the high ping has only recently been. I contact the support from the provider. I've been using open VPN (nolag vpn) for about 2 months and until 2 weeks ago it was fine. (50-80 ms ping). NOW 500-800 ms ping.
Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

What about if you try a different VPN server? It may be that the NZ server is under load and is causing delays.

Message 4 of 6
Marv-K
Guide

I did that of course, in general. The ping of every VPN server is 5-10 times * as high as before.
Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK, but this is only happening when going through the VPN? If you disable the VPN, your ping is normal? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7