× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1.0.1.64_1.0.27 firmware update

jim_l
Tutor

1.0.1.64_1.0.27 firmware update

Hi,

My RAX80 is showing 1.0.1.64_1.0.27 firmware as being available for update (from 1.0.1.62) but I can't find any release notes or futher info anywhere. Does anyone have any more info?

Thanks.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20
jon_russ5
Apprentice

Re: 1.0.1.64_1.0.27 firmware update

Mine too. I can’t find anything wrt release notes either.
Message 2 of 20
jon_russ5
Apprentice

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware? (Yes) (No) Current GUI Language Version: 1.0.1.62_2.1.46.1 New GUI Language Version: 1.0.1.64_2.1.46.1 Current Firmware Version 1.0.1.62 New Firmware Version 1.0.1.64_1.0.27 Release Notes:  1.   [Security Fixes] This firmware fixes security issues.  2.   [Bug Fixes] The correct 5 GHz channels now displays when the Korea and India regions are selected.  3.   [Bug Fixes] The default Beacon interval is now set to 100 and the DTIM is now set to 3.  4.   [Bug Fixes] Channels 1, 11, 12, and 13 will no longer be used when the 2.4 GHz channel is set to Auto.  5.   [Bug Fixes] Client devices with only IPv6 address are now able to access the router web interface using www.routerlogin.com.  6.   [Bug Fixes] Fixes minor bugs.

Message 3 of 20
jim_l
Tutor

Strange. The Release Notes section is blank for me.
Message 4 of 20
bevant
Apprentice

Has anyone actually managed to upgrade?

I kept getting the GUI Language file cannot be upgraded. 

Message 5 of 20
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

I was able to upgrade successfully. The LAN / WAN devices still disconnect at random but I was told by another user to turn MU-MIMO off and that resolves the issue. Testing it out now

Message 6 of 20
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

@SAM_the_GAM wrote:

I was able to upgrade successfully. The LAN / WAN devices still disconnect at random but I was told by another user to turn MU-MIMO off and that resolves the issue. Testing it out now

Even with MU-MIMO disabled the WAN / LAN still randomly disconnect / reconnect throughout the day with this latest firmware. This bug was first introduced in the 1.0.1.58 firmware. Back to 1.0.1.56 I go.

Message 7 of 20
bevant
Apprentice

Actually, I realised you must be having the same problem I'm having - I am having problem where I cannot see my Apple devices and printers, but strangely, I can access other computers on the network, and Alexa and Hue lights seems to be working. 

That's why I have currently disabled my wifi on the RAX80 and using an old R8000 for wifi - until Netgear fixes the problem.

This is really the worst router (Netgear or not) I've ever own. 

Message 8 of 20
jon_russ5
Apprentice

It took a few goes - the 'update' button just didn't work.  But with many issues with the firmware it is not worth the money, as it's poorly tested.

Message 9 of 20
bevant
Apprentice

Agreed. If they did any decent testing they would have discovered how crappy the thing is. Even the web interface does not work with Safari.

It keeps losing the settings, e.g. the timezone keeps resetting to GMT+0, traffic meter gets turned off, wifi gets turned on after I've turned it off, port forwarding list entries disappear. 

How could they release something this buggy?

Message 10 of 20
jim_l
Tutor

Interestingly, the .64 version is still not available on the Netgear RAX80 support or download sites. Does anyone know if this is the norm?

Message 11 of 20
bevant
Apprentice

Yep, that's the case for me. I can only get .62 version.

Message 12 of 20
OBIHoernchen
Aspirant

Betreff: 1.0.1.64_1.0.27 firmware update

this is a broken firmware. I have done a reset after update to get a clean install. But this firmware has hard connection drops in wireless lan, the GUI can be reached sporadically only and I can not set settings for NTP. How can netgear just bring such a laggy firmware for this expensive router?

I rolled back to 1.0.1.40

Message 13 of 20
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was able to update and mine is working okay... but still have issue with random LAN disconnects and QoS randomly enabling causing speed to be capped at exactly 500Mbps... also have issue others reported with Device names not saving and other various issues. For most part it works but frustrating so much of basic functionality is broken for the price.

Message 14 of 20
bevant
Apprentice

I find that my port forwarding entries disappears after a reboot. Traffic Meter also gets disabled after a reboot. TImezone and NTP gets reset.

For NTP, I change it to time.google.com instead of using the netgear default. It works. 

I was wondering why I would lose internet access and blamed it on the ISP but now I know it's the router! 

Literally, this is the worst Netgear product I've ever purchased.

Message 15 of 20
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have only had one other Netgear router... ten years ago and it was so bad I gave it away lol... not sure why I decided to try Netgear again but here I am... I guess it works decent if you are type of person that just uses default settings. If want to change anything though it's very hit or miss.

Message 16 of 20
GabboCH
Apprentice

I managed to update my router this weekend.

As a side note, the update is only available through the router WebInterface. The Nighthawk app says my device is up to date.

Flashing was quick & fine but after restart all of my issues with wifi constantly dropping, devices unable to connect came back.

I had to performed a factory reset, manually reconfigure the SSID, AccessPointMode, SmartConnect & disable AX functionality to get back to normal performance.

The update doesnt seem to address any of these big issues with the router so I would recommend everyone to avoid installing it until theres some better feedback from Netgear.

Message 17 of 20
bevant
Apprentice

@OBIHoernchen wrote:

I rolled back to 1.0.1.40

Is this the last stable version? I'm getting sick of having to restart the RAX80 almost every day when the network suddenly drops dead. I want to roll back to the last version which doesn't drop the internet connection just because "it" is having a bad day. 

Message 18 of 20
Spoone123
Initiate

1.0.1.40 is the most stable to me as of now, I had to restart my router once this month. I do sometime get some weird bug where i have to click go twice for the website to load. I about to return this router to my local Best Buy and get the ASUS one instea , they have Ai Security feature and 8 1 gig port for LAN. 

Message 19 of 20
bevant
Apprentice

@Spoone123 wrote:

1.0.1.40 is the most stable to me as of now, I had to restart my router once this month. I do sometime get some weird bug where i have to click go twice for the website to load. I about to return this router to my local Best Buy and get the ASUS one instea , they have Ai Security feature and 8 1 gig port for LAN. 

You're right. Since installing this version, I also had to restart it just once. Also, I am able to make changes to some of the settings (like timezone) and the settings are remembered AFTER the router is restarted. 

Too bad I trusted Netgear too much in the past and threw the box away. Otherwise I'd return it too. 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7