× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX3000 RAX40 issues

lafronte
Follower

AX3000 RAX40 issues

Running into a number of issues with this router. 

First, after a number of days or even hours it stops broadcasting the SSIDs and does not even hand out DHCP leases for wired endpoints.  The reboot is the only option to resolve the issue because I cannot even get logged into the router.

Secondly, when the router is up I have 5G on channel 48.   I used a wifi scanner on the android device, WiFi Analyzer, and it initially shows on channel 48 but then after some time and a blip in connection switches to channel 155.  This makes no sense, ifi it were the other channels such as 40 that would makes sense.

I have done a number of troubleshooting steps, including reverting back to the older firmware, since I had updated to latest.  I also reset the device back to factory as well as turned off AX and 20/40 coexistence.  

I am also past the 90 days for the free phone support and if I were going to pay for additional support I would just buy another router and would stay clear of Netgear going forward after the experience I had on the phone.  

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
itsmehuey
Luminary

If you did a search you would have realised there are TONS of threads discussing this exact issue with no resolution to be found as yet and no sign of netgear support folks even caring to do anything about it.

Reverting to previous firmware should have alleviated the daily ssid drop issues but that is far from a fix for the underlying issues that are playing the router and its firmware
Message 2 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello lafronte & itsmehuey,

May you send me a private message with your email address and serial number. And if you've contacted support, please provide me with your latest case number. 

Christian 

Message 3 of 7
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Christian_R PM sent with details requested
Message 4 of 7

I had multiple issues with this as well.  Support is no help and they only want to send you the same model in which you will continue to have issues.   This router is the worst and I wish Netgear would own up to it and replace it.   Maybe this is a class action worthy?

Message 5 of 7
itsmehuey
Luminary

@MightyMouse2099 wrote:

...Maybe this is a class action worthy?

as frustrating as it's been, I don't think so. But if you plan on doing it, good luck with that.

Message 6 of 7
JCSooner
Tutor

I posted on this topic, as I had similar issues.  It appears to me to be a DHCP Services issue and i am not certain when or if NG can get it corrected.  Mine crashed at least once a week, with a major failure only once....as I replaced it with a dedicated router and dedicated wifi...I gave up on the RAX40.  I simply didn't have the time to constantly trouble-shoot a failed design and then when you want NG to help you with their failed design, they want to charge you.  It's crazy!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7