× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing MAC Address settings on my router breaks my hardwire connections form my modem.

Ziiar
Follower

Changing MAC Address settings on my router breaks my hardwire connections form my modem.

My current setup involves an Arris Surfboard SB8200 modem connected to a Netgear R6700AX – AX1800. I recently was having problems getting internet to my router which was solved by changing the router's settings under "Router MAC Address" to "Use Computer MAC Address”. More on that here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Router-can-t-detect-internet-from-my-new-Mod...

This solved my problem but appears to have created a new one. I have a desktop computer hardwired to the SB8200 modem. Before I made the change to the router settings, my desktop received internet but after the change, the desktop no longer gets internet. If I disconnect the router, and power cycle the modem, the desktop gets internet again. But when I power cycle again and include the modem, I’m back to no internet on the desktop. If I plug a computer into one of the ports on the router, I do get internet from those. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Changing MAC Address settings on my router breaks my hardwire connections form my modem.

Cloning MAC address is not needed for normal ISP services. Most ISPs don't support cloaning so you should be changing the MAC address. 

Check with your ISP to see if this is needed or not. They will know. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7