× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Channel selection general question

SilvertonMY
Guide

Channel selection general question

RAX35

Residential neighborhood

I find that using 5Ghz channel 124 @ 80mhz wide gives me the greatest WiFi speeds.  Problem is since 124 is a DFS channel, the router changes to a crowded channel 149 automatically after a day or so.  I'm assuming that this is because it detected radar (possibly a police car driving by with his radar on?).  It seems to only happen at night and/or on weekends.  No one else (visible) is using the DFS channels in my area so I'm assuming their routers don't have that capability OR there is some other signal preventing them from using it too.  In the morning, if I tell the router to set to channel 124, it goes there and stays there most of the day.

.....So I have a few questions.

1.  Will my router automatically retry the selected DFS channel after a certain amount of time after it has switched to the non-DFS channel?

2. If I set a wireless-off schedule for a 1/2 hour during the early morning hours, will the router attempt to connected to my selected DFS channel when the wireless turns back on?

3 If the answer to question 2 is 'No', could I install an outlet timer to cut the power to the router for a few minutes, then turn it back on?  Would the router attempt to connect to my DFS channel then?

Not a huge deal and I can live with Channel 149, but it seems a waste since there are other networks using that frequency.  Also, I find that the lower channels, 36-48, etc are not performing well for me.    Just looking for opinions.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 1
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7